Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New windows - remove or replace wired alarm

Options
  • 17-11-2022 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi I got some new windows and doors fitted and obviously window/door contacts were removed and I am left with wires. Installer said a lot of people snip them now and go for a wireless alarm system. So looking for advice -

1. get someone out to put new contacts on the existing system which I suppose would be cheaper (all upstairs had them too - is that even necessary?)

OR

2. Get rid of wired system and get a new wireless system - not interested in monitoring and stuff - what would be rough estimate for this - standard 3-bed semi.

Wondering if you could provide pros and cons of either or. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭zg3409

Definitely stay wired if you can. Wireless have very expensive batteries that need replacing every few years. Often wireless systems don't cover every window and door due to cost.

Was your alarm working 100% ok before you installed windows?

Depending on make and model of old alarm system upgrading to wireless may be very expensive and need new control panel etc.

Wireless sensors are bigger too.

Without a sensor on every window and door you can't set the alarm at night time as motion sensors would probably be disabled and then there is a risk burglar may enter through an unprotected window and not trigger alarm. Window sensors give early warning if intruders before they are even in house.

I would say cost may be 200 euro versus 600 euro. While they are there you should get a new battery fitted to main panel as they tend to need replacing every few years anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Inkers92

Ah great thanks for the advice. I'll stay with the wired so. It worked fine for us. I think the sensors are still intact and maybe just new covers which he said I should get rid of because they have yellowed. I could probably pick these up somewhere (suggestions welcome) and have a crack at it myself - just not that confident boring holes in new without knowing exactly what I'm doing.

This is an example of what is left behind

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭zg3409

Get the installer to put in new shock sensors which is what these look like. You can get brown for brown windows.

I was quoted 500 for seven sensors. 70 per sensor- seem excessive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭OO7FITZY

Hello

how did u go with this

I also had windows replaced and need to get the sensors replaced and the alarm serviced or tested again to ensure all connections are working

Any recommendations in the Limerick/ mid-west region?

Hi, I stayed with the wired system and got new sensors on all windows and doors. The guy took about two hours and cost was 250. I have no recommendations for Limerick I'm afraid as I'm near Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭OO7FITZY

ok, thx - will just have to ring around Limerick are and see how I go

Advertisement