Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rescue dog with issues towards males

Options
  • 15-11-2022 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi,

Myself and partner got a rescue dog a lurcher over 2 months ago, we weren't informed it had issues with males just thought it was highly nervous because we knew it had a bad beginning. My approach was just to be patient, not expecting any results for around 6 to 9 months, the dog was terrified of me, I kept distance and gradually took over on walks and now I walk him solo, he is still scared of me though, he won't eat when my partner is out and rarely leaves the crate, he has become very friendly towards here and playful but when we are both home if I move he starts barking a lot at me, howling, if I shift on the couch, if I'm upstairs and move room, I can't move without him barking for about 20 seconds and loudly.

Was told to associate him with me giving him treats, I do it whenever he's good post walk etc I don't shout at him, never have we, we both ignore his barks as loud and fierce as they are, I'm not sure what to do here to sort this out, I worry the neighbours will eventually get fed up and if I'm sitting I know if I get up or need to do anything I'm getting a giant howling that is ear splitting, thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Was told to associate him with me giving him treats, I do it whenever he's good post walk etc

At this stage, it's about him associating you with something good (treats) so I'd be keeping up a very steady stream of treats whenever you're around, not just in rare circumstances like post-walk. The behaviour you are looking to reinforce is calmness around you, so any time he's near you and calm, reward that.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭pauly58

My advice would be take it straight back, there's always a reason the dogs are there & it might not be " due to change in circumstances " . Get a puppy & at least it's a blank canvas, & yes before posters deluge the thread with I had a great dog from a rescue, I'm well aware some good dogs come from homes, but believe me & especially with the lockdown dogs, it's a minefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

You said you were willing to give it 6 to 9 months and it's only two months in, so I think you need to be more patient, he's still very much finding his feet.

Just be calm, consistent and loving and he will come around. He may always be wary of men he doesn't know, though, even after he accepts you.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Sigyn

As a rule of thumb, an adult dog needs between 6-8 weeks to settle into a new home, that's if the dog has no issues to begin with.

How old is the dog, please? Neutered/Spayed?

The dog has trust issues with you and there are several things you can do to change that.

Feeding him/her is one of the things BUT not just treats but take over the whole feeding regiment every day, including the water bowl. Certain things which are special treats like, let's say boiled chicken or a piece of ham, you only feed by hand, ie the dog has to take it from your hand.

Grooming the dog is a great way to forge a connection, brushing, or even just rubbing with a cloth. Avoid staring/too much eye contact, smack your lips as a pacifying gesture when you groom the dog.

Mind your breathing, are you anticipating scared behaviour and hold your breath? You may to this subconsciously but the dog will pick up on it and think something is wrong. I find humming a good way to deal with scared animals, that way you can't hold your breath ;).

There are more ways to build trust but those are the most basic ones. And please ignore those who say to take the dog back, people never cease to amaze me and not always in a good way.

Once you have the dog's trust you will have a companion for life and a much closer bond than you would experience with a *non issue* dog.

Get your partner to step back a bit and let you take over the care etc of the dog. Good luck!

Homo homini lupus est.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

Our rescue showed some fear towards males when we got him (and he's not fully over it). He was wary of my husband but bonded with me immediately. He showed some aggression towards my husband after a few months, growling and snapping at him if he decided he did not want my husband touching him. But at almost the same moment I could pet and cuddle him with no issues. We did a lot of positive reinforcement with him, mostly through play as Milo adores a game of tug with a rope or a stuffed animal. He also handles the grooming, and it is definitely a great bonding experience for them as Milo loves being brushed.

And over the past 2 and a half years they have become best friends. He regularly chooses to cuddle with my husband over me in the evening now and while occasionally when he is relaxed in the evening he still sometimes takes exception to my husband petting him and will snarl a little he is like a different dog.

The key is to read the dogs body language and do not push him past any threshold. Lots of positive experiences when you are there and let him warm to you in his own time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Joffrey

Thanks for all the advice, trust me I'm quite patient, the steps are a lot easier said then done, he will be our forever dog I am committed. But like, I do feed him, I cook him chickens and give him treats, the by hand thing is a no go, I can sit there for 15mins softly encouraging, it doesn't happen, if I get off the couch, if I move to quick he barks a lot, I can walk him once he's out, grooming is harder then it sounds he is fast and when your getting done to a dogs level and he's growling, barking, im not risking a bite, I will play the long game

Advertisement