Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Energy monitors

• 14-11-2022 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I recently had Solar installed with no battery or eddi, so I my Solis app doesn't show me what I am consuming/importing/exporting.

What's the easiest way to go about getting this info? I've started looking into a Shelly EM, but an a little confused as to what I need to buy. If I buy the Shelly EM do I buy it with 120a or 50a clamps? Do I need two clamps, one for my main grid import cable and one to go on the solar?

Is there anything other than the Shelly I should be considering? The easier to install the better

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Like yourself I was using the Soils app and it wasn't great, didn't have a battery and didnt know how much I was exporting. I decided to use the ShelleyEM and what you need to do is log your main ESB incomer (before the Solar Feed) and the obviously the Solar PV feed. The sheepy will record negative power and energy and this will be your export. May as well get the 100A clamp for the main incomer and the 50A will do for the solar

I did a comprehensive write up on my ShellyEM install on the thread linked below and should give you a good idea.

Power / Electricity Apps? — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Just the shelly em with 120a as I will assume your main fuse is 83a or similar.

One shelly em can do two circuits so what I did was, place the 120a on the mains cable coming from outside (only around the live cable, usually brown one) and a 50a around the cable going to my EV charger.

You also need to wire power to the EM from one of the circuits but that's it.

It will show you both import and export

• Registered Users Posts: 43 paddy353

Hi everyone, is there any app / device I can use to accurately measure the impact a solar and battery system would have on my home? Any insights or thoughts would be really appreciated as it's a lot of money to invest without definitive knowledge of how much I could save.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭curioustony

@paddy353 you need two pieces of information, your usage and your solar system configuration. The first you can get from an activated smart meter, Shelly or other monitor, or you can guesstimate it. For the second, PVGIS can give you very good historical data for your panel count, kwp, gps location, orientation and roof angle. A great big spreadsheet can then be used to calculate the amount of generated electricity that you use or sell.

There is an application that does most of this for you (if you don't like spreadsheets): https://github.com/Tonyslogic/tout-compare. There's a windows installer for each release of you don't do python.

Hope that helps!

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 43 paddy353

Thanks for your link @curioustony - I also have a smart meter, how do you access your data from Electric Ireland?

• Advertisement

@paddy353, you need to login to you account here: Login to your Electric Ireland account | Electric Ireland -- Apologies I could quickly not figure out the authentication/authorization and gave up after my 1st password reset, so the app will not do this for you :-(

Select a meter (View the account), go to the details tab, scroll down to the link to the meter data, click and save.

Then you can load the file from within the application (Usage profile --> Load profile from Electric Ireland):

I'm pretty sure that your meter needs to have been configured for 1/2 hour data collection. If you are on a smart plan, then this will be the case.

If you are still on a 24hr tariff, then you may well be out of luck.

ESBN have just opened a portal where this data is automatically collected for all smart meters regardless of supplier or plan. @silver_sky just posted the link https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119893099/#Comment_119893099. I hope to integrate that as a source of load data soon as it will be helpful to anybody with a smart meter considering an investment in solar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭silver_sky

@curioustony

Should be possible to lookup vs their API to pull the data.

https://myaccount.esbnetworks.ie/api/GetBilledReads?mprn=  -returns the data for meter reads (non-smart)

https://myaccount.esbnetworks.ie/DataHub/DownloadHdf?mprn= -downloads the HDF for smart meter import & export data

EDIT: you would need to login/open a session for the registered MPRN first

@silver_sky I just published a new release: https://github.com/Tonyslogic/tout-compare/releases/tag/v0.0.30

I kept my life simple -- once you have registered and downloaded the HDF file, there is an import/load option in the 'Load profile' menu.

Note that if you already have solar, this data won't be of any great value in the application as it will be very skewed by you solar generation.

My meter has been activated since March and this is what I get:

Can you tell I have a battery and solar? 😁

Advertisement