Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accelerated reader favour

Options
  • 14-11-2022 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I’ve a favour to ask for my book loving 11 year old son who is feeling very deflated. 

His school takes part in the Accelerated Reader programme. He read a book, The Caldera which is the 7th book in the Brotherband Series by John Flanagan and unfortunately the quiz for this book isn’t on the UK site (it’s on the USA page) even though the first 6 are.

The more people that request the book the more likely they will add the book and my son will be a happy chap.

As I can’t post a link if you could go to arbookfind . co.uk and select “suggest quizzes” we’d really appreciate it.

The caldera 

The Brotherband series

ISBN 9780142427293 

Uk puffin books 

(2017)

Middle years

Thanks in advance 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

Done, OP. As a teacher myself who just stumbled across this thread, how do you find Accelerated Reader as a parent? It's new to our school so I'd be interested in hearing your opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Hereforagander

Thanks so much.

We love AR in our house, although after reading this book and then realising it’s not on the UK site, my son says he’s giving it up! He’ll get over it though!

He got the most words in his class over the last 2 years so he wants to get a million words a term and this book is almost 90k.

He likes to set challenges for himself so he upped his target from 100 set by the teacher to 150. He has early enough nights as he likes to read and will often read as soon as he gets up.

My older son loved it too and is missing it now that he’s in 1st year. He started it in 3rd class and he was one of the top readers in the class. He has a complex medical condition, 22q deletion syndrome, and struggles with most subjects but English is now one of his strongest subjects since he started AR. He’s always reading or writing!

I think overall the programme is great and the teachers in the school have noticed an improvement in literacy and vocabulary. Some parents complain that their kids seem to find it hard to reach even low targets but I feel if it’s being encouraged at home and they are reading for 15-30 mins a day then almost all kids should reach their targets. The reward of a homework pass for teaching targets is definitely a motivator!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

A question on this for anyone that knows. Is this only schools related? I know one parent with an avid reader that would be very interested. From what I can see anyone can access the reading lists but not the quizzes? I wonder can an individual parent set themselves up as a "school"?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Same question here, I am curious about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Just found this https://smarterlearningguide.com/accelerated-reader-homeschool/ which seems to give the answer NO but provides some paid for subscription alternatives.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
Advertisement