Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garage or shed?

• 14-11-2022 4:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭

Ok so here's one that is confusing me.

You can build a garage to the side of your house without planning permission. You can also convert a garage without planning permission.

So therefore you can build a garage and then 6 months later change it to domestic use?

What are my missing?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nothing.

You are correct.

I’ve heard stories of garages been built and used for storage for 24 hours. Home owner takes a few pictures of it in use as storage.

Then converts the next day to use as part of the house.

Obviously you have to be mindful of your other restrictions such as floor area, previous extensions etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Subject to all the requirements, you can do exactly that. Bear in mind that the garage sq.m limit is less than the extension sq.m limit.

Yup. And even in a normal sequence of construction. The walls and roof would be complete before that fit out. Once the walls are roof are enclosed, it's a garage. Can start the next day on the "conversion" aka complete the fit out.

Advertisement