Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem updating Google Pay with new card

Options
  • 13-11-2022 4:20pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Folks

Had a new debit card arrive in the week, the old one is expiring, and encountered issues updating that card into the Google Pay wallet.

The first issue is probably a Google issue, the new card has the same number as the old card, so Goolge Pay rejected the add, saying the card was already registered. The only change is the expiry date and the CCV. I overcame that by deleting the old card from Google Pay, and was then able to enter the relevant details for the new card. There was no option to change the details of the existing card in the Android version of the Wallet.

The more specific issue then came when confirming the new card, it offers the option to receive a SMS message to send a validation code, which was my choice, but I then got a warning message that the phone number on my Google profile did not match the number on my bank details. I cancelled the update, but about 2 minutes later, the code I needed did arrive at my mobile number.

I then tried again, and was able to complete the update as I got the necessary code on my phone, so could enter it into the wallet, and confirm the addition.

I have checked the numbers in my Google profile, and in the BOI details, and it seems likely that the problem is with the international code verfication. the BOI system will not accept +35387xxxxxxxx, which is what is in my Google profile, as they are an international operation, they look for things like mobile numbers to be in the international format. The BOI system will not accept the +353 prefix to a mobile number and while I cannot prove this, it would seem that the difference is what it causing the issue with the update. I have not tried using 0035387xxxxxxx, as that is not a valid international format for the phone number, other countries use different formats and numbers for their international access, so the internationally agreed protocol has defined that the valid way to present the numbers is to use the +prefix, but that cannot be entered into the BOI system.

I have also reported this to the Google Pay team, in that it is confusing, the error message is not a failure, it should be flagged as a warning or possible issue, at present it's not clear that the update will work.

Updating Google pay should be a simple seamless process, as a result of these issues, it was a tedious process, and a non IT aware user would have had problems working out what was causing the update to fail.

Is there any chance that BOI will update their systems to recognise the correct international format for these numbers,

Thanks

Steve Garry.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Eve

Hi Steve, thanks for reaching out to us here on Boards.ie.

I am sorry to hear about the difficulty you have had with adding your new card to Google Pay. We appreciate you sharing your feedback with us here and will be sure to pass it along to the relevant team.

For further assistance with adding your card to Google Pay I would advise calling 0818200474 and one of my colleagues can look into this for you and offer further guidance.

Thanks, Eve

Advertisement