Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking car to uk - need to change speedometer to miles?

Options
  • 12-11-2022 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

I am moving to UK in Feb and need to take my 3 year old Hyundai car there, but it seems from DVLA if I am understanding it correctly that I cannot register my car in UK if the speedometer is in kms. I spoke to my local Hyindai garage and emailed Hyundai and no one seems to know if the clock can be changed to miles. Has anyone here encountered this issue previously?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I recall viewing a UK import at a Merc dealer a few years back and the speedo was in MPH. You should be able to change the digital display to show MPH, will that be sufficient for the DVLA or are they insisting that the analog display also has an MPH scale?

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Hannaho

Hi! Coylemj, thanks for your reply. Do you mean by analogue display where the speedometer says what speed I am doing - my understanding is that that's what the DVLA want changed. How do you actually change the display to MPH - no one seems to know, not even Hyundai?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Strange one that I've driven UK imports here that have the speedometer in MPH so it seems that only applies in reverse

Yes, unfortunately it does seem to only apply I reverse. More particular in the UK, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Based on the application form, I think just changing the digital display to MPH is acceptable:

2) That a speedometer has been fitted which is capable of indicating speed in both miles per hour and kilometres per hour, either simultaneously, or by operation of a switch.

For this change we can accept the following options:

b. The existing (digital) speedometer is, permanently, re-programmed, through a standard feature of the vehicle, to display the vehicle speed in mph

You could contact them to make sure: Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA) vehicleimporting@vca.gov.uk

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Does this work on your one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭gipi

I have a 212 Kona, it can be switched between Kms and Miles on the digital menu on the dash.

Thanks so.much for this info. I'll check again tomorrow. I didn't notice a switch MPH. I had my car serviced in the local Hyundai garage on Friday and they never heard about being able to switch to MPH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Any 3 year old car will have the ability to switch to mph and mpg at a simple click of a button on the control panel.

I'm surprised a mechanic working on the cars does not know such a feature exists

Yes, he hadn't a clue about it and said he rang Hursts Hyundai in NI and they hadn't a clue about it either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I know on VW's where some of the newer models are KM/H or MPH only on the analogue dash you can also set the central display to show a digital MPH or KM/H which will suffice,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The way they are going over there, they will probably be looking for furlongs or leagues when you get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Does it tell you how to change it in the manual, which most likely resides in your glovebox?

Hi! Unfortunately found out from dealer today that it's an analogue clock so can't be changed. The only option is to ask dealer in UK yo get same clock in MPH which would be expensive, and apparently the mileage would then go back yo zero - do not legal, I guess. I may have yo think of selling my car and buying in UK - not at all what I wanted to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Theanswers

Buy a MPH Speedo second hand and remove the Speedo card and swap it with your KPH one in your car. That will suffice. No reprogramming required. Done it a few times myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Theanswers

For the same make and model you have obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Did you check the owner's manual? It's hard to believe that the feature isn't there to change the digital display. We know it's an analog clock, we're not talking about the speed indicated by the needle. Does your dashboard display show the speed in digital form - with numbers like on a digital clock?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

You would be surprized, My 2022 Dacia Jogger does not seem to have such an option, and it has a digital Speedo. Apparently one needs to go into the ECU to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Need to know the actual model before we might find a link for you that might work but you can always check here on the Hyundai forums

https://www.hyundai-forums.com/forums/#hyundai-models.122

Advertisement