Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DIY Solar install

Options
  • 11-11-2022 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Every time I look at solar installs I see the prices are going up. I can understand this and I don't begrudge anyone making an honest living, there is, no doubt a bit of work in it. To fit my own budget for a solar project I looked at a DIY installation of an on-grid system. When I say DIY I mean sourcing the panels, inverters etc myself and getting my friendly electrician to install and sign off.

All was going well, until I looked at eh NC6 or NC7 forms. Understandably ESBN has to ensure inverters are up to a specific standard, they don't have a published list of approved inverters but it seems if you list your inverter on the form and send the required certification it should be okay. Assuming the inverter max output is below the applied for Max Export capacity (MEC) and assuming the MEC is available from the transformer, what level of certification do they require? One supplier (in china) I spoke to said for Ireland it needs to meet I.S. EN 50549-1 and once I submit a certificate showing the inverter has been tested for that standard ESBN will be happy. Does anyone have experience of this process, is there more to it than one certificate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DC999

If you're going entry level DIY, have a look at this. You could DIY a flat roof (extension, shed, wall that gets good sun...). Put a micro inverter (instead of a normal inverter) on which would sort shading issues. Under a grand and you’ll have some solar. Tbh I didn’t realise it was as easy as I would have done that on my flat roof extension. I’m gonna look at this too for family members. Random Renewables Thread - Page 11 — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

Then you're not sourcing inverters that won't pass the NC6.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,837 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

From the test cert for the NC6, it's basically saying that the proper grid settings are in place for Ireland, and if the inverter is compliant to EN50549 then you should be okay

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 46 maxpet

Do you need to be a registered Electrician to fill in the NC6 form or can anybody do it once it's up to the correct standard???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,837 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

From the looks of it anyone can fill it in but you'll need to put the installers details in

There's also a test form to be filled out, which looks like it requires a Safe Electric number

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement