Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Your Club allow guests?

Options
  • 10-11-2022 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

My gun club used to but then they got new insurance so they are not allowed anymore sadly. Shame fun way to get others into the sport

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

My club allows guests.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Yup, mine too

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭BSA International

Can't see how insurance could prevent guests. Did they explain why?

Both mine do once they have licence & insurance.

Can I ask why a guest would need a licence and insurance?

A licence isn't a requirment under legislation to shoot an unrestricted firearm on a range. I would have assumed they would either use a club gun or the club member's gun (as long as it wasn't a restricted firearm).

And my second point is that if the guest was a non-shooter, why would a non-shooter be expected to have their own insurance? Isn't part of the guest fee there to cover the insurance aspect of the guest's visit?

I'm not trying to be awkward, I'm just asking a couple of questions.

OP stated "gun club", which to me, is a game/vermin club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭SVI40

We do, but limited to 3/4 visits, then it's either apply to join, or you can no longer attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,088 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I was think you answered your own question there. But second comment clarified. I was thinking he meant target shooting club. But agree with your reading of Game club too.

It’s possible that the old policy included guests, and the new one doesn’t (so they would need their own) and club can’t ensure that they do.

Might be an "age" thing 😜

"Gun club" = game club

"Range" = shooting range/club

😀

If it's a range and insurer don't cover guest's if guest's had insurance can they use it? What about "open" competitions?

I agree it's tough on someone who wants to have a few go's who doesn't have firearms to see if they like it before they pay a membership, to a range.

Don't guest's need to "sign in" and show licence & insurance? To be fair member should check same before asking guest to come?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,088 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It it was a range. You think people having their own insurance would be fine to attend.

If a game/gun club. Self insurance should be ok. But the club might not be able to check insurance with confidence.

Ah right. I was thinking range and not a game/vermin/clay pigeon club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

My range does - subject to guest having licence and insurance (think it's only for clays, no guests for paper).

Never asked about a cap on the number of visits, but I think it's subject to no one taking the pi$$ and abusing the situation. That's fair, imho.

As for hunting clubs, don't get me started - most are petty, small minded, greedy little groups, who may well kill off the sport, rather than help grow it.

Personally, I think all of the clubs (ranges in particular), should be doing more, to promote the sport.

More introductory days, bring a buddy day etc. That would help get more be people into the sport, and help with educating the population about safe shooting sports.

Thanks,

G.

You're grand 😉 I could see where you were coming from 😀

Do clay grounds require "membership". Been a long time since I shot clays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

1 guest once per month provided that they are fully insured with the NARGC and prior notice must be is given to the committee along with proof of insurance and that there are no objections, them are the rules but what's done in practice is different. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭ace86

My own club has no issues with guests once they are insured should anything go wrong etc. my club will only allow members shoot grounds that are rented to members only no exceptions regardless who they are who they are related to in the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Yes it does a member can bring a guest but there is a 20 euro visitor fee per visitor per visit.

Also you take responsibility as a member to ensure that person isn't a disentitled person and they sign a waiver.

Advertisement