Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car "with history alert"

Options
  • 09-11-2022 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

I went to pick up my new car recently and the dealer told me that he had just run a MotorCheck on my trade-in and a history alert had shown up (with no specific detail), and that he could only offer me half of what he had originally offered.

My trade in was in great condition. I have always very carefully maintained any cars I have ever owned, driving them sensibly and keeping them properly serviced and in good condition in order to optimise any future trade-in value. So this situation really irked me.

But then thinking back, I recalled that I was rear-ended by another motorist about 8 years ago. Her insurance paid for the repairs which my Main Dealer arranged in their approved Crash Repair Centre.

I assume this incident was "recorded" by her insurance company. So how can it be that I ended up out of pocket for something that wasn't my fault, and if her insurance company was able to record this history alert which reduced the value of my car how come they didn't have to compensate me for that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The issue is not why the incident was recorded against your car, it is that the dealer made you an offer on your trade-in and then tried to renege on it. Are you now in the situation where you paid a deposit and they won't allow you to back out of the deal? It sounds like serious sharp practice.

I'm going to tell you what I think happened here. Your dealer is an indie who doesn't have a trade subscription to MotorCheck but he knows someone who works for a main dealer and he relies on them to do these checks, hence why there is was a delay in getting the data.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭zg3409

Car insurance pays for damage to car to be fixed but it does not pay for the now fixed car having a crash history and as such now it's a crash repaired car, so is worth than same car not crash repaired. It's specifically mentioned in policies.

I am not sure if you went ahead with the deal but often you can get more selling privately or you can trade into any other dealer anywhere.

I find history checks vague and unclear. They dont tell you what history they actually could check on the car, and it's not clear if they had any real history at all.

Some things are flagged such as a period of no tax (car may have been off the road due to a crash for a period of time) but it's not that clear how that helps.

Advertisement