Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any success stories converting ICE vehicle to EV?

Options
  • 09-11-2022 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

From reading this article, it looks straight forward to convert ICE to EV. https://www.irishevs.com/how-electric-car-conversion-works

But from a quick scroll through boards, I see, its probably not at all straight forward, or affordable. I was thinking of a second hand MG to use as a second car, (understanding that the range would only be about 80k).

Has anyone any success stories, or is this a complete non starter.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It’s not straight forward.

its not cheap.

It is enjoyable and a cool.

@unkle has an E36 converted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

That article says a 320-420km range conversion can be done for under 5k parts and labour. If that was true I'd be selling my cupra born and buying back my 2014 Audi A6 and converting it tomorrow...but I don't believe it could be done. Even in the few years time like it says. Batteries won't be cheaper in my opinion.

But it also says a new electric car could cost about 30k, which is very low and not really representative. Your median electric car is more like 50k.

Very factually incorrect article I would think, but an interesting concept and an industry I would love to see take off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭zg3409

It can be done, it has been done, but it's not easy nor cheap. Range will not be as good as equivalent EV.

In France you can get grants for converting ice to EV which can make it more viable.

Some cars have DIY kits available such as old 1960s beetle which are easier to convert. Cabin heating is optional, above 7kW charging is optional. You probably want 25,000 euro minimum budget unless you want to do it all yourself and use scrap parts. Some people use a crashed leaf and transplant parts over to ICE. The good thing about this is you can end up with 45kW charging rate so longer trips are possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭eusap

There is a French company that featured on Fifith Gear that are working on making kits for small French cars, like the clio to allow the home mechanic to convert to electric

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I contacted a company in the Netherlands who do it, to convert a Toyota Landcruiser was seventy thousand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

how much is motor tax if you convert to EV? would consider it if it was the max tax rate on the older cc system or the highest rate on current system...

• Registered Users Posts: 64,979 ✭✭✭✭unkel

It can be done for just €1000

My car was converted by the legendary Damien Maguire from diesel to electric using lithium batteries for a range of about 65km and a top speed of about 120km/h, for €1000. It is officially registered as an electric car now with just €120 annual motor tax. It passed the NCT as an electric car, and I have it taxed and insured fully comp as a classic car for €200. I was driving around in it this evening, everything works as it should, I am eagerly waiting for the NCT appointment so the car will be 100% compliant with a valid test.

It is far from easy though...

Why isnt there a plan here or fund to convert cars to EV? My guess is, selling 50,000 euro cars is far more lucrative than giving a E1500 grant towards conversion. Even if it is far more environmentally friendly...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Great to hear that E36 is still going strong. Damien Maguire has had some great projects on the go, nearly lost one recently with a small electrical fire caused by a BMS fault. It’s on one of his latest YT videos.

Just read this in the Sunday indo Minister reduces his target for a million EVs

HUGH O'CONNELL DEPUTY POLITICAL EDITOR

The Government is dropping its target of having one million electric vehicles (EVs) on the roads by 2030, as Green Party leader Eamon Ryan warned Ireland faces a "wartime situation for the next 25 years to stop our planet burning”.

The Environment and Transport Minister is finalising a new Climate Action Plan that will shift government policy to delivering more public transport and walking and cycling infrastructure in a bid to reduce overall car journeys.

Asked about the target of one million EVs, he said: "I think a lesser number, it hasn't been finalised yet.

"At the moment, everything is designed around the presumption that people are going to use a car, and we're not providing the alternative infrastructure to allow people not to use it. People want to use public transport, they don't want to be stuck in traffic.”

The Climate Action Plan for 2023 will now aim to make just over 30pc of the national fleet EVs by 2030.

However, €100m will be allocated over three years for more EV-charging infrastructure, including €15m for points at sports clubs.

Before he flew to Egypt to attend the Cop27 summit, he warned that parts of Ireland are already becoming uninhabitable and the country's five cities could end up the same by the end of the century without action.

"We're starting to see it already in some locations, like along the Shannon — areas that have been subject to flooding in recent years. There are areas that can't take another flood,” he said.

• Advertisement

There is a grant in France and some companies are jumping on it, converting a handful of different model typically simple small older cars to EV with a very limited range. After subsidy it costs the owner about €5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Not really practical for the majority of people though is it? To get a practical EV conversion is a lot more expensive.

No, it would only be suitable for most people as a second car / city car. And imho it would make more sense to buy a second hand Leaf for similar money, at least that can fast charge (the converted car for that sort of budget can't fast charge)

So personally I would be against subsidising conversions. The same way as I am against subsidising home renovations / improvements / retrofitting. Most of the subsidy just goes towards labour and profit of the install company

There is zero companies in all of Ireland offering low cost commercial conversions. There is one high cost company prices around 250,000 euro each.

We would need a supply of similar make and model ICE cars and bolt in kits.

We would also need a demand from consumers and a real business model. For example take a 10 years old Toyota Yaris, convert it, try sell it, would this be a viable business even if grants were in place? If you were to have 5 employees and convert 5 a week would that work? What are costs of parts and labour.

Such a company may need millions to ramp up and grow volume. Stock of used cars may limit volume and switching car brand would result in more r&d costs.

I wonder what 2500 ish would get me if I converted my 2003 520i .... might get In touch with that guy...

Damien Maguire does not convert nor sell his conversions (except to friends). He is not running a business and mostly works on new designs for fun. He gets hundreds of messages a day and does not reply to them. He was involved in DIY classes before but these classes have moved to Netherlands. Openinveter website is for DIY people but they don't sell kits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pErnesto

Anyone know of anyone n Ireland putting in a course or DIY workshop?

The above website lists the meets and courses.

I believe there is a WhatsApp group for Irish serious people with actual ongoing conversions with only a few people on it.

I don't believe there are formal Irish classes, so you would need to travel abroad.

If you start with a complete kit for say a beetle then little to no training is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pErnesto

Ok thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pron

A good DIY one up north:

LR Freelander with Leaf motor and VW battery pack https://www.youtube.com/@alibro7512/featured

Plenty of pain and suffering along the way, but it's now a bona-fide registered / MOT'd EV

Advertisement