Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meaning of Adm.

Options
  • 09-11-2022 12:00pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The obituary of a priest who died in Ireland in 1929 describes how he was Adm for eleven years in Loughrea before his appointment as parish priest at Killimor.

Would that be an Apostolic administrator as described at Wikipedia or is it something else?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭55Gem

Apostolic administrator may be the correct term, but it may also be simply Administrator, I've seen a case where the parish priest was unable to carry out his full duties due to old age being appointed an assistant called an Administrator. If that position should correctly be called an Apostolic administrator I don't know. In this case the Administrator became the Parish Priest after the other had died.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

In Cathedral parishes, e.g. Loughrea, the Administrator had all of the duties and responsibilities of a parish priest but carried them out in the name of the Bishop. The PP was (I think) technically the Bishop but the practical day to day work in the parish was carried out by the Adm.

In more recent times I know from a clerical contact that some dioceses appointed Administrators to run a parish while e.g. waiting for the preferred candidate to return from study abroad, sick leave etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

So the main thing is Adm is short for administrator - thanks for that.

For what it's worth this chap was studying in Maynooth in 1901 and described as a Catholic clergyman living in Loughrea in 1911.

Post edited by Hermy on

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement