Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Van life/Bugging out

Options
  • 09-11-2022 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I'm selling the house in the spring, buying a customized trailer to live and sleep in and hitting the road. Done with all the nonsense. Just wondering if anyone out there is or has done this and if they have any tips or suggestions? Particularly around where best to sleep and the legal ins and outs of where to stay overnight.... but any other tips would be very welcome. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Alkers

If your planning on wild camping, vehicle appearance is a big one, especially if going anywhere remotely built up.

If your customised trailer screams someone living inside it, you will likely encounter issues

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Cox

Yeah it's pretty clear that it's for living in. There are windows, a bed inside etc. By issues do you mean the law?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Most locations have bye laws for parking, so you'll need to check each councils website for their relevant parking laws. If you park up in a residential area you'll have the residents complaining. You'll have to move regularly regardless of where you park. A lot of campsites close for the winter and not many allow permanent residence.

What will you do during the autumn and winter because living in a trailer will be cold?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Alkers

Not only but people will associate you with those that chose to live in caravans and all the negatives that can attract.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

Before selling your house why not rent it for fixed short term and rent a camper van in the depths of winter to try it out. The rent would keep you with an income, and may rise with inflation.

Thinks like water, sewage disposal, showers can be difficult to obtain. Some have tricks such as showing at canal services.

As others have said many go very low profile with only windows on the roof, no windows on side nor back door. They make it look like a van. If any windows then heavily tinted to look black.

Heating in winter, with without toilet.

There was an "ask me anything" on boards.ie from a person sleeping in a van in Dublin and working a day job.

I would be very hesitant to sell my house as if you spend the cash you may never get a mortgage in older age, particularly if of no fixed abode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Are you getting a carvan or a motor home or camper van. Honestly this is something you should try first get van fit it out go on a few trips, then decide if it's for you. In France, Spain, Portugal or Morocco, yes. In Ireland in winter no, it's to cold and damp. If it was as an end goal of saving for house maybe but you would be mad to sell a house and swap to van in this country especially if have to ask questions about it online. All the youtube van life videos are usually followed by a video 6 months in with I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

That was an excellent thread, I agree with the recommendation.

There ARE people who live in vans fulltime, even in Ireland; and they are savvy and smart because they need to be.

They know the round of safe, discreet parking spots; they don't hang around too long; they have arrangements in place for disposal of waste - (bins are a perpetual problem) - they have a postal address.

Think about heating; about hygiene; about long wet evenings; disposing of your recycling; emptying your loo, if you have one. (And if you haven't, how would you cope with a dose of the runs?)

Sorry to be so blunt but living in a van could quickly become squalid if you don't plan every such detail.

And all that is assuming that your vehicle holds up!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭clivej

And you'll still need an income, food, fuel, insurance, road tax, van maintenance, day to day living.

Saw this come up on done deal. If you were going to try it this would be a good design, shame it's a renault

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Nice find. Once all that pine is painted, that’d be a pretty nice van.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭Shoog

I was told by my mechanic that Renault masters of that age were more reliable than current ones.

I've had 3 renault cars, shopping for a new car with the wife, French cars are banned. To many small and big expensive things break.

Advertisement