Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass Roots Enduro

Options
  • 08-11-2022 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭

Folks I'm looking for some honest advice and opinions for someone who's considering doing the Grass Roots Enduro Series next year.

For some background to inform those opinions, back in 2018 I got an XC mountain bike after years of not cycling. Over the next year and a half I built up my skills level enough to the point that I was able for the Tour de Ballyhoura 36km loop, Nire Valley Drop 45km loop, visited Ticknock, Ballinastoe, and Ballyhoura is my closest trail network. I wasn't setting the trails alight, but I also wasn't coming a cropper much. Covid hit and I threw myself into work since we couldn't travel anyway - didn't have the time, energy or motivation to get out on the bike so it was parked up and forgotten about. This year I decided I wanted to get back out so I got myself an eMTB and tried to build back some skills again. I've been back to Ticknock, Ballyhoura multiple times, completed the full routes for both the Nire Valley Summer and October drops. I still have a way's to go, but confidence is steadily improving.

I've never done a proper competitive event, and I wouldn't be the most competitive person. I like to compare myself to friends and my own previous times, but I've no notions of going balls to the wall. The Enduro series is tempting me as its an opportunity to explore new trails that I've never seen before, if I'm paying to enter then it's going to be extra motivation not to procrastinate, and the idea of not having to constantly check Strava or Tail Forks for route guidance is massively appealing. I've been watching YouTube videos from all the rounds and stages that made up the series this year and don't really feel its beyond my abilities. The Grass Roots looks to me to be the better introductory series given its format compared to the Gravity series, but not having done either I could be wrong?

So if you've made it this far, thank you. Please give me an honest opinion as to whether or not I'm mad to consider it? In the meantime I'll be continuing to visit Ballyhoura, the Nire Valley, hope to get to the Slieve Blooms, and all going well I'll be doing the Biking Blitz series in the new year too 😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Go for it.

The grass roots is meant for basically the rider you're describing. You'll get the usual fast lads but after that you'll have every make and model. The trails themselves are grand and unlike the gravity enduro, times are very loose none of this you have to be at a start gate at such a time or you're out.

All obstacles have a B line or are easily rolled. The hardest part used to be getting an entry, I'm not sure if they've upped the entries but some courses sell out in minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭prunudo

Do it, never done a Grassroots but by all accounts they're well run events and seem to have a good vibe.

One thing I would say is don't overlook your fitness, its better to be fit than worry about not clearing a jump or feature. Put the preparation in and make sure you're regularly getting 25-30km spins in the lead up to any event. Something I've been guilty in not adhering to in the past and you can feel it as the day goes on.

But don't dwell on it either, its great to have a goal and also can't beat racing between the tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

If you're only riding trail centres then the grassroots stuff will be a big step up in terms of how technical the trails are depending on the venue. You would definitely want to put in a bit of practice on natural trails beforehand to get a feel for it. E.G. it was held in Killaloe a few times which is as technical as you are going to get. The grassroots in Ballyhoura has been run on the Ardpatrick side and has included trails like Peace Process which are pretty full on. On the other hand, the enduros in Keeper hill and on the ballinaboola side of Ballyhoura are much more manageable. I can't speak for the ones in Leinster.

Post edited by xxyyzz on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Peace Process- there's a name i haven't heard in a long time. Tried it years ago on the xc bike, along with Car Door and a good few others - twas interesting to say the least! I'd hope the newer bike would make a better job of it, though I must search it out and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I haven't been up there in a while but I think car door is gone. Coillte bulldozed it.

• Advertisement

That's a shame. Still plenty of other natural and enduro trails up there to be found though. Really need to start using the strava segment search again as the last few times I've been up there I've just done the white loop 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Gerry

I havent done grassroots, the gravity tends to suit me better in terms of locations.

The new mashup format of gravity is quite close to grassroots and the timings arent as tough. So I would not rule it out if theres a venue that you fancy a go at.

The best enduro I did last year was the first tracks in rostrevor. but this was a full 6 stages.

But overall Id say your philosophy is quite close to why I do it. I'm nowhere near the sharp end, usually I'm closer to propping up the results. It can be very challenging to ride trails blind and Ive been guilty of being a bit too cautious sometimes

But its a great motivator for any improvements that you want to make with your biking. It forces some commitment. And if you revisit the same venues yeah you'll focus on going faster, even if you think you aren't competitive, you'll want to improve over time.

I'll look into the Gravity, thanks. I had been under the, perhaps incorrect, impression that gravity was a bit more hard-core as far as the stages were concerned with bigger gaps and drops? Will be on YouTube for the evening now looking at videos of last year's events 😀

It depends a lot on venue but I'd say the gravity stages are usually rollable. There can be some drops but not usually any mandatory gaps. That's going on previous years, I only did carrick this year. The end of stage 6 was quite sketchy. But as above grassroots uses many full on technical trails so I don't think there's a significant difference there.

As above all over fitness is very important, you want to be able to ride as well if not better by end of the day. Blitz is a good first target, I'm targetting it myself, excuse to sort out the xc bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Yeah definitely go for it.

This is based from my own very limited experience with very little ability.

I started mbt in January '21 and done a Grassroots in Cahir that year. While I certainly won't ever trouble the winner's it didn't take from my enjoyment of the whole event. Everyone I met on the day were very supportive and encouraging no matter how fast (or slow in my case) you were. The tracks themselves are grand, they are more technical than the free flowing Ballyhoura trail centre stuff but they won't have any big jumps or drops, everything will be rollable. It was great going down tracks that were tape with some spectators in place shouting you on. This year I done all 4 Grassroots events and loved them.

What others have said about fitness is also true but I see you've an emtb, so that will help you out.

Go for it, sure what's the worst that can happen 😁

• Advertisement

Appreciate all the words of encouragement lads - you've all convinced me to give it a shot. Depending on how it goes I might try the Gravity series too.

And Gerry I hope to do the Blitz too, but I expect that to be a much tamer affair which is why I hadn't mentioned it 😊

Good stuff. I'd suggest picking out some events that suit you and ask for more pointers on here when it comes to booking them or before the event. Blitz is tame I guess in terms of trail difficulty though going really fast on expressway on a hardtail takes a fair bit of commitment.

I'd have to disagree about the biltz, its a completely different animal to the Gravity series. At least with the enduro you're only timed for your decents, the biltz is flat to the mat with no rest bite.

Also there are no 'gaps' in the Gravity, everything is rollable, thats not to say the pro's don't find lines to gap.

Blitz is a mass start event though, isn't it? So you know where you are from the beginning. Want to do better, pedal harder - happy where you are, carry on? When I said tamer I meant the trails more so than the effort required, but I take your point about it possibly being a longer effort rather than just shorter timed stages. 😊

Personally I hated it, the single track is where I'm quicker, people passing you on the climbs only to hold you up on the single track, and if can get past they overtake you on the next climb, rinse and repeat for the whole race.

That's a perspective I'd never considered actually. Can see how it would be frustrating alright.

Advertisement