Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New alarm suggestions

Options
  • 07-11-2022 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I have a house built 1999 with wires to two doors / all window, but sensors to several have been removed due to new windows. I've been debating DIY/self-monitoring vs. monitored.

Have a few quotes from monitored pro-security firms - Homesecure (Ajax equipment) and Verisure. Neither will touch the wires, and want to go 100% wireless (and maybe that's OK). So far I'm leaning towards Homsecure, simply because I've read so much about Ajax equipment. Verisure requires more up-front payment, and about the same monthly charge as Homesecure. I have a few Google Nest Cams already for video monitoring but thought 1-2 video/photo cams in the house wouldn't be a bad choice (along with the security alarm).

Other options I'm still researching on the DIY route - priorities for me are backup in case power goes out (maybe that's not really needed?):

1. Purchasing Ajax equipment myself - price is just a bit cheaper than Homesecure over 3 years, but I could add sensors without adding to monthly charges and get my own SIM to make sure I'll still get notifications if power is lost. Might even get the unit to leverage existing wires. Ideally - would like to find someone who can figure the install for me (with existing wires + some combo of new wireless sensors as needed), but could go it alone if needed.
    2. Ring Pro - Now has backup, glass breakage sensor, and based on various on-line reviews seems reasonable.
    3. ERA Homeguard - Seems to have all sensors I'd want (but contact sensors aren't w/vibration, which Ajax has), get get locally (Screwfix).

I've ruled out:

1. Yale - No 2G/3G/4G Backup - but generally good reviews and could reconsider.
    2. Abode - Like the integration possibilities but can't seem to get a firm answer on 3g/4g backup in Ireland (popping a SIM in to continue monitoring) - seems that won't be an option.

Anyone faced with this recently, any other options to consider or tips? Seems that Ajax is well respected generally, good equipment, but def more expensive than other self-monitoring options.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The Hikvision AX Pro would be another option very similar to Ajax that would be worth considering.

You should check out this thread in the home automation forum for folks who have DIY'ed the Ajax system:

I've actually got the Yale system myself, I'm very happy with it, but Ajax/AX Pro would definitely be a big step up in features and sensors supported, but obviously with a big increase in cost too. I'll probably consider one of those myself too for my next alarm system.

I think the Ring is more similar to the Yale in price category and features, with the Ring now outdoing the Yale. So I'd say it dpends on your budget, tight budget I'd go for the Ring, or otherwise step up to the Ajax/AX Pro level, which are definitely a higher category of systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 luckycat007

Great thread, thank you. Will def check out Hikvision AX.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 luckycat007

Hikvision AX PRO looks like a great option... I chatted with best-alarm-system-eu who sell both AJAX & Hikvision, they believe both are obviously good units but slightly steer to AJAX as it's slightly easier than Hikvision..however videos I saw on Hikvision install seemed very straight forward and not too dissimilar to AJAX.

If I purchased the equipment, but did want to pay for monitoring, is that possible? I've seen elsewhere on this thread monitoring costs of 7-10EU/month (not sure if that includes the SIM card), vs. 30-40 EU/month or more I'm quoted by security firms but this also includes basically payments on the equipment + monitoring.

Advertisement