Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard drive and back up software for laptop

Options
  • 05-11-2022 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

I intend buying on Tuesday a WD Elements 4TB hard drive from Curry’s for 119.00 but what I think I need as well is back up software that I can run monthly (preferably automatically schedule) to just back up the files I have used during the previous month.

So not a complete back up every month - first month a complete back up and then going forward, just the files I’ve used. I want to be able to connect the hard drive and back up, not leave it constantly plugged in as its a laptop and I do wander around the place with it.

I’m useless with technology so I need something for dummies. Just upload and push a button.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,535 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Check and see how much data you backing up. Unless you need 4TB don't buy a old style hard drive. Buy an an external SSD it will be much more robust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I don’t know how to check how much data I am backing up but I run a business (patient notes, supplier info etc) and I’m doing a degree so essays etc so I don’t want to lose any of it and the expensive laptop I have is IMO shite - keeps freezing, had it replaced once already so I think I got a dodgy model but I don’t want to lose anything. My website man, when asked what HD he would recommend, recommended the WD Elements one - how much does a SSD hold?

So I’m going back to my website man (Steffen) and ask whether I should get HDD or SSD (I just googled to see the differences) and he’ll be able to recommend the most appropriate as he knows my business. Thanks for your help Flinty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

If you're storing patient notes, you'll need to make sure that both the hard disk in your laptop and the backup hard drive are both encrypted. If your laptop is running Win10 or Win11 Pro, then you'll have BitLocker which should be easy enough to turn on. If you're not running the Pro version of Windows then you may need to get some technical assistance.

For backup software, FreeFileSync is pretty straightforward to set-up and ... free.

https://freefilesync.org/

Thank you for the info, much appreciated. The back up software sounds like something that will do the job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement