Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Octavia Service Interval

Options
  • 05-11-2022 12:24pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I bought a second hand Octavia from a Skoda dealer back in July. Was told it came serviced and they included the service record which indicates oil change service including polen filter and spark pug at 76k. I've added 10k onto the car since purchase and the dash is now telling me its due another service in 2k.

The record shows the service before that was at 54k including break fluid service.

There's a gap of 20k between services and I assume the last service was done just because their selling the car on.

Why is it now asking for a service so soon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Can you drill down into the details of the service due warning and actually see what is due attention? Is it possible that something that was not due to be changed at the time of purchase is now due 10k later?

Also I'm no expert on Octavias but I think there are two different types of service intervals - normal and and long life. I think the long life interval is 25/30k which was designed for high mileage drivers whereas the normal interval is half that. Maybe someone with an Octavia and more experience with them will chime in with more accurate information on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭User1998

Its likely that when the car was serviced the technician reset the service indicator and set the next service to 12 months/12,000km.

Regardless, its been 10,000km since its last service so it would be advisable to have the car serviced again in the next 5,000km or so. Unless its only been a few months since you bought it and you’ve been doing primarily motorway driving. In that case you could consider sticking with 12 months/20,000km or whatever the longlife service interval is

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Normal service interval is 15k/12 months, there is a long life interval of 30k as well which is the same service/parts used.

There are 2 service indicators on them for some reason, service and oil change.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

So every 15k they do an oil and filter change than every 30k is a full service?

Yes, major/minor/major/minor, then the odd fuel filter every 60 or 90kkm although I do mine more often than that. There are intervals for stuff like brake fluid changes, timing belt etc etc too.

• Advertisement

MINOR (SILVER) SERVICE EVERY 12 MONTHS OR 15/45/75/105,000KM What's included? Car Serviced to ŠKODA Ireland's recommendations (€185)

Synthetic oil change

Change oil filter

Comprehensive vehicle inspection and report

Check and top-up screenwash and antifreeze

Check for outstanding vehicle safety, software and product enhancements from ŠKODA's database

Diagnostics check and report

Reset service interval display

Vehicle road test

ŠKODA stamp in service book

Courtesy wash and vaccum

Complimentary Breakdown Assistance for 12 months

Major (Gold) Service or 30/60/90/120,000km (€241)

What's included?

Free set of windscreen wipers

Car Serviced to ŠKODA Ireland’s recommendations

Synthetic oil change

Change oil filter

Check and top-up screen wash and antifreeze

Check for outstanding vehicle safety, software and product enhancements from ŠKODA's database

Air filter replacement

Pollen filter replacement

Check suspension system

Check and adjust tension of drive belts

Remove all wheels for full inspection of braking system

Check heating/air conditioning operation

Vehicle road test

Courtesy wash and vacuum

MAJOR + (PLATINUM) SERVICE (€296)

What's included

Free set of windscreen wipers

Car Serviced to ŠKODA Irelands' recommendations

Synthetic oil change

Change oil filter

Change fuel filter (diesel engines)

Check and top-up screenwash and antifreeze

Air filter replacement

Pollen filter replacement

Check suspension system

Check and adjust tension of drive belts

Remove all wheels for full inspection of braking system

Replace spark plugs (petrol engines)

Check heating/air conditioning operation

Vehicle road test

Courtesy wash and vaccum

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Chriky. Such an expense. Is this a Skoda thing or common with all manufacturers? Do people usually follow these guidelines?

Seems like services every few months will make it fairly expensive

I don’t think it’s unreasonable, the pricing was €150/€200/€250 18 months ago though.

I do a fair of driving so am doing long life servicing but not leaving it til the full 30k to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Lol. You might want to sit down so before seeing servicing prices from the likes of BMW, Audi or Mercedes.

I do mostly motorway, but I assume I risk the warranty if I skip a service interval?

They’re valid service intervals, check with the garage I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭shane b

What is the difference between the normal service and the long life interval? is it different oil?

I have a 2010 Octavia and the previous owner was on the long life interval whereas im using the normal service interval. Just curious really.

It’s the exact same service/oil used in this case for both, but for an older one there might have been different oil options.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭teediddlyeye

Does it say "service" or "inspection" on the dash?

2 different intervals usually stored.

Oil is 15k inspection is 30k.

The last time it was serviced it may have just had the oil service reset with the inspection having 12k left.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

Rang the dealer. Told it goes minor service then major service in 15k intervals.

So next service is oil , filter and inspection.

Then after that it's a full service but each full service varies depending on what needs to be done as some items are only changed again depending on KM since they were last done rather than service period apparently

Seems a bit mad to me!

Whats mad about it? Its just basic car servicing

That’s only because the actual service schedule probably wasn’t followed and stuff was replaced early when it was prepped for sale. Nothing unusual there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Should’ve gone electric if you don’t like servicing 😂

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Advertisement

Electric servicing is even worse, they try charge you mad money and only do basic things like top up the coolant and possibly change your wipers and cabin filter😂

Ah don't mind me, just didn't expect a service so soon! Just thought it would be a longer period before that's due!

Thanks all for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

The thing with the oil change for standard distance/long distance is that, in modern diesels with DPFs, the oil actually has a better chance of staying in good condition with long-distance driving. It gets up to the right temperature and stays there. You'll probably have less DPF regenerations, where extra diesel is sprayed in to raise the combustion temperature to burn off particulates in the DPF, and when they do happen they'll be completed properly because you won't have stopped the car when it is occuring.

If you do a fair amount of stop-start or city driving in a diesel the oil doesn't always reach the right operating temp so it's possible to have moisture within your oil, which evaporates at normal temps, and if a DPF regeneration happens, but isn't completed then some of the excess diesel can end up mixing with your engine oil, thus diluting the oil and that isn't good, thus the more frequent changes to compensate for that.

Follow the Skoda guidelines on this stuff but any good indy mechanic could do it for you cheaper than a main dealer will. They'll all know Octavia's very well, they're common enough and the engine is used across other VW group cars. Consider doing our fuel filter more often than Skoda prescribe too, I know of a fleet of vans which were having issues (injector-related I think) and the mechanic looking after them does the fuel filters at every service now and those issues no longer crop up. Worth thinking about.

Advertisement