Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suspect contaminated diesel

• 05-11-2022 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just looking for a bit of advice.

Pulled into a service station this week, and filled up to the next with diesel. Ten seconds out the road, an engine light comes on. Car was going as before, with no discernible issues, so we kept going (it was a long journey, from west Cork to North Meath) with kids so we kept going.

I think I'm detecting a slight fuel-like smell when turning on the car, and today noticed some smoke coming out the exhaust (can't say if this is normal or not, as I wouldn't have been looking for it)

It's a 2016 Peugeot 308sw.

Does that sound like contaminated diesel to anyone and if so, any advice?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,480 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Get the fault code read, that should give a good guide as to what's up.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Would the "new fuel" have hit the engine within those 10 seconds? I'd assume whatever fuel was still in the lines would be being used during that time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Whocare

Probably nothing to do with diesel ⛽.my guest is your dpf try doing a regeneration and something is gone wrong as dpf regen will need as least ¾ of tank of diesel in it .as you filled tank it try doing a regeneration and something is gone wrong

Post edited by Whocare on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭chases0102

Thanks for those insights everyone. Interesting re the dpf, as I am almost certain I hadn't filled it up to the top in a while....perhaps that is the issue? If so, I wonder is it significant?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭greenfields11

A bit off thread here but has anyone dealt with an insurance claim for confirmed contaminated diesel. Garage gas confirmed this is what damaged my car and to contact insurance but they are refusing to pay out. Any one any tips or advise. I am here reading through the insurance policy and I don't see anything that says they do not cover contaminated fuel etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Who's insurance company are you lodging a claim with, the garage's or your own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

I usually find that most mechanics don't understand fuel and I wouldn't be taking their word.

Think of it - a garage diesel tank holds up to 40,000 litres.

Even if it had just 10,000 litres you would expect another 300-500 cars to have an issue.

Hence these stories of bad fuel are very rarely borne out unless someone put something into your tank when it was parked.

Post edited by walterking on

My own car insurance company

They took a sample from the car and said its clear the diesel was contaminated and its wrecked the fuel injectors.

Find the source and sue them

• Advertisement

I really cannot narrow it down. I got fuel anywhere and everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I'd imagine it's down to the insurance company whether they pay out or not but most probably won't. We had customers who's insurance with Axa covered misfuel or contaminated fuel. We'd take a sample of the fuel and send it to be tested or an assessor would take it to be tested. Unless you know where you bought the fuel I'd say unfortunately you'll have to pay for the repairs yourself

Advertisement