Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cease Employment on Revenue

Options
  • 04-11-2022 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hoping someone can make sense of this for me. I worked part time up to March 2020, and then the business closed, so I got the PUP payment. I was due back in July 2020 but opted to stay at home. PUP ceased. I have now agreed to return to the same job, again part time. My employer has asked me to log on to Revenue to register the new employment. When I tried to do this, I realised that they had never ceased the original employment. Is this an issue? Can I just leave it as is? Or do I need to cease it from July 2020 and then re-register it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭nhg

Firstly, it’s the employer who should be registering the employment not you. It’s only the 1st employment that the taxpayer registers (to activate your rate band & tax credits), all subsequent employments should be registered by the employer.

In your situation, your employer can pay you through the employment that’s already active on your record as it’s a different tax year. Just make sure that your annual rate band, USC band & tax credits are assigned to this employment which they should be unless you have worked in another employment since.

For example:

If you had been working there & left in Feb 2022 & starting again Nov 2022 a new employment would need to be registered as it’s within the same tax year.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Senature

While the employer will register your employment with Revenue, they have zero influence over the allocation of your tax credits, cut off point etc.

Make sure they are allocated fully to this employer and you should be fine.

Otherwise your taxes could be artificially high until you have sorted this out.

Always better for employees to be proactive on their own taxes.

Advertisement