Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Replacing Sky Q

• 04-11-2022 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭

First, apologies for the basic questions. I have searched but have gotten myself totally confused in the process.

I have a fairly common setup -

• Single TV
    • Sky Q . Basic package with Sky Kids. HD
    • Virgin Media for broadband

Currently being charged just over 60 euro a month for Sky so looking at alternative options. My want list is :

• Irish Channels
    • UK FTA channels
    • HD
    • IPTV integration

I see lots of recommendations for the Zgemma HS7 but want i don't understand is what additional cabling/hardware might be required to get it to work with my current setup and if there is a lot of work in completing the setup. I gather i would need to change the LNB but i'm not sure what that involves! Hoping someone might be able to enlighten me. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Changing the LNB is cheap and easy, but can be a daunting process for anyone who hasn't done it before. You would need to swap out your existing LNB for this one. (I have no affiliation to freetv).

You would also need an aerial if you don't already have one (for the Irish channels).

You would not need any additional cabling, provided that you are happy with the current arrangement (no. of TVs etc.).

The H7S will do all you have listed. It is a great box. Have one myself, and have set a few up for relatives. It's a massively flexible piece of kit, but set up can be tricky. It one of those things were you spend ages to perfect it, and then just leave it do its thing. There's a great H7S forum on here though with loads of people to help you out if you get stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭xl500

How much are you paying for virgin broadband can you not add a tv package to that for less than 60 extra a month then you would still be up

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

Thinking the same Myself but want a system like Sky, which I now is not possible but as close to it as I can get. Any ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭swoofer

I think sky q has upped the game quite a bit ie netflix, disney plus, paramount, i apple tv, amazon prime. The way to combat sky is get a combo sat box so now you have fta and saorview for one off cost. then for the on demand get a firestick or apple tv, firestick cheapest, with good broadband get the 4k max. The H7S is about 240 with an SSD and firestick is about €55.00 . You will still need subs to disney, etc but I think you can cancel and re join etc. To get bbc and itv etc on firestick you have to be adept. In the end you can save a lot of money. I have a friend set up with FTA box that has a sky look and they have a smart tv. Were paying 37 a month now 3 years on very happy.

Post edited by swoofer on

Advertisement