Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best all round .22lr

Options
  • 04-11-2022 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hi all

I am getting back into shooting after 10 years

I had a cz452 American and I couldn’t fault it . I am thinking of going for the 457 this time

it’ll be mostly range shooting and maybe a few rabbits.

I want an accurate and reliable rifle, any recommendations

I’m thinking 457 synthetic or the long range precision - I am not however clear on the match chambering of the LRP is it worth the extra money? Is it ammo fussy ? Any one have one or the other - or recommend one or the other?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I bought the LRP. This model has a match grade chamber. The CZ 457 could not be more reliable. Never a miss feed or jam. The short 60 degree bolt throw is gorgeous and slick. The trigger is very nice indeed but needs to be adjusted as it is initially too heavy. I adjusted mine to 1.2 lb. I like the safety too, similar to a Remington 700.

The problem is that there are so many aftermarket parts available for it and I like it so much that I lost the run of myself. The action in all of the 457’s is identical. With the benefit of hindsight I should have bought the cheapest model to start with as I upgraded just about every part including the barrel, stock, trigger, magwell, bolt knob…… the list goes on. Fantastic gun, an absolute tack driver. Will never sell it.

Post edited by 2011 on

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭mufflets2

That’s gas thanks for the reply - are there any downsides to the match grade chambering ? does it just make the gun more accurate ? Can you run super/ hypersonics through it when hunting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Ryano87

I have an anschutz 1417g. Great little .22 which I'll never part with. Perfect for hunting with. It prefers subs and doesn't like CCI for some reason.

anschutz is where I always wanted to go when I got a few quid (like now) but I did scratch the stock of my old cz so I’m keen on synthetic stock now : so I don’t know if anschutz do that - also I like the idea of being able to swap out barrels and try .22whr and .177 on the same gun

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭GooseB

The Anschutz 1761 is a swap barrel design with different chamberings available, similar to the CZ457. It's pricier though, only has 5 round magazines available and no synthetic stocks. You probably know this but I'll say it anyway (and as far as I know, someone please correct me here if I'm giving false information) - you'll need separate licences for each calibre so one gun with a .22lr, a .22wmr and a .17HMR barrel will need 3 licences. The CZ457 MTR with the match chamber is an accurate rifle for what I've seen of them. We had a prone 50m/100m competition at our club a couple of months ago and the winner was using a 457 MTR, beating a few Anschutz rifles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The match chambers are just made to tighter tolerances for increased accuracy. No downside that I can think of. Standard velocity is always going to be more accurate than high velocity (which can be used with any barrel). My personal view is that if you want more power then go for a center fire.

You really can’t go wrong with an Anschutz either, fantastic gun but they cost a bit more. If you really want a synthetic Anschutz then buy an aftermarket stock such as MDT.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭john_aero

i just traded in a spotless anschutz .22 that i have had from new into Irish shooting sports

not listed yet but ring and ask them for a price

Thanks for all that folks great information - Ya I know about the licence for each barrel.

I need a .22lr because the local club only has a rimfire range and I should probably do at least a year on that before I press the Guards for a .223

"The match chambers are just made to tighter tolerances for increased accuracy. No downside that I can think of."

This was my understanding also but wasnt sure - I heard somewhere that you have to stick to match ammo with these tight tollerence chambers

I am leaning towards the cz457 LRP with the synthetic stock now.

I installed a Brooks trigger kit in my old cz . I hear that there is no need to do that with the newer cz's Very adjustable.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Wadi14

The stock on the CZ457 LPR is wood if I'm not mistaken.

this is the one I’m talking about - might have got the acronym wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭clivej

I had the LRP, gray stock, and the groups were sh!t. I put every make of ammo thru it but could Never get consistent groups out of it.

Took it back to the dealer and traded for an Anschutz 1710. One small hole groups at 50m all day long with the Anschutz. Won the first competition I entered with it, and many more since. Using RWS R50 ammo.

I also bought a CZ 452 Lux for competition shooting, €150. Very accurate using Eley Sport ammo. Again a few wins with that rifle.

The CZ 457 Royal is a nice rifle, accurate as well. But all the 457 are pricey now

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Ryano87

Yeah I had a cz452 lux as my first rifle.... That thing was a tack driver and only cost about 350 ish back in 2005. Always sorry I sold it.

Bought the Anschutz 1417g about 10 years ago. Think I paid circa a grand. Honestly it has a short barrel which is perfect for a mod, decent glass, 10 shot mag as standard. Couldn't fault it. Fantastic trigger too.

I'm not sure but I think they are hard enough to license now given its a very short barrel (could be talking waffle)

I also bought a weirauch hw97k Springer which is pig heavy after using the Anschutz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

I have an anschutz 1710 with a match 54 trigger. It's a fairly old gun but I would never part with it, at 50/100 yards I don't think much would stand up to the tight grouping this gun delivers

That’s very interesting - my cz 452 standard was a tak driver too - the new club has some club guns including cz’s so I can try a few out I’ll slow this thing down I reckon - wounder who if anyone makes a synthetic stock for anschutz

• Registered Users Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭clivej

I put my Anschutz 1710 into a different unknown centre fire stock. Nothing fitted but with some pillars and devcon I made it fit very well. Easy enough if your handy.

I put an Anschutz rail on the bottom and used a plastic block to make it 75mm wide and ready for light varmint benchrest competition matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭zeissman

Its still a wood stock.

Most cz rifles shoot well but you get some that won't.

I bought a tikka T1X and it shoots very well.

If you want guaranteed accuracy buy an anschutz

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Match chambers won't handle stingers or bird sho and possibly more IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JP22

Best all round .22lr

One of those questions that’s often asked but not easy to answer as everyone has their own personal views, largely based on what they own.

My thoughts and tuppence worth says:-

For reasonably accurate range work and field use any of the rifles already mentioned in the thread are suitable.

CZ’z are fine rifles and will not break the bank, numerous models available and plenty of aftermarket stocks available. Any CZ Royale I’ve seen/used are super accurate, CZ rifles are largely based on the original Brno Model 1 & 2.

As Clive said, some LRP’s were super accurate ootb and continue to be, others were accurate for some time and then suddenly went downhill fast, some others were just so-so regardless of ammo used.

Don’t be afraid of old rifles, especially good makes (Anschutz, Brno and Walther), unless the rifle was totally abused (club rifles) most have a long life in them, note – NEVER buy a rifle without testing it first for accuracy, parts for some old rifles are unobtainium, model dependant.

Match chambers are normally found in match grade rifles and greatly increase accuracy; some manufactures do not recommend HV ammo in their match rifles.

For pure accuracy/craftsmanship regardless of cost – Anschutz 54, Walther KK Series, Valmet, Brno Model 3/4, Weihrauch, Tikka and the beloved BSA International Mk 3 & 4.

Yes, there are others (G&E, Tanner, Win 52D, Rem40X, Kimber, Vostock, …) but these are not freely available here, some are as scarse as hens teeth and some need lotto wins to buy.

I’m an Anschutz snob, so get an Anschutz, new or used.

If you cannot go new then look for a used Match 54 (14/18/19/2013 series – very heavy for field work though), For a 54 Sporter look for a 1710 standard or a 1710HB (heavy barrel) or an older 1422/1700/1705. The Anschutz 64 models are lighter and cheaper than the 54 models and are very accurate, not as good as a 54 but close.

EDIT.

Forgot to add, if you get a Brno/CZ, get a trigger kit for it, (Eric Brooks original or the Y0-Dave copy), kit is cheap and makes a huge difference.

Best of luck in your search.

Post edited by JP22 on

Thanks for all that - I had a brooks trigger kit in my old cz and still have a spare kit - I would love to be able to say to a gun shop that I need to test the rifle first for accuracy, I didn’t realise that this is a reasonable ask/insistence - it would certainly be worth going to gun shops that have ranges exclusively if this is a reasonable ask .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JP22

For buying second hand I think its a reasonable ask but that's just me.

The main problem is most smaller shops/dealers do not have a range on site or close to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Another vote for the Anschutz here.

I've three of them but if I was going to keep just one it would be my 1416 ('64 action, threaded bull barrel).

Fantastic walking rifle and represents itself impeccably to 300m and beyond at the PLR days in Midlands.

Advertisement