If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]


  • 03-11-2022 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭chases0102

    Hi all, quick query that someone may have an opinion/experience of

    Parents of my OH have land next to their house in North County Dublin. We have been advised that planning permission would likely be refused due to Ribbon Development, and also perhaps on sight lines.

    My Father in Law was in a fairly serious road accident three years ago, and is in genuine need of care. I say this, because I am just wondering, how much does this reality factor into the decision making process? Can the grounds of Ribbon Development be challenged? My brief exploration into the local planning authority says that some level of 'relaxation may be considered where permission is sought on the grounds of meeting the housing need'.

    In relation to sight lines, I got a sense from the conversation that this could be explored, given that we could share the existing driveway of parents. I know, for example, that traffic surveys can be undertaken in order to strengthen a case.

    Just wondering if anyone has any similar experience/advice on such a scenario.

    Many thanks


  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mike_2009

    Someone near me built a detached 1 bed single story house behind and to the side of their house but right beside a main road and applied for retention on the grounds it was needed for their ailing mother on short notice. Shared their driveway. They won and it's still there. Don't know if I would be up for the battle and onwards to An Bord Pleanala though.

    Is the plan to extend or build a new & separate house to meet the needs of your Father in Law?

  • Organise a pre-planning meeting. Not much point in asking the internet.

    The main issue from the 1st post seems to be a new entrance to the road— a safety issue per the development plan for Fingal Co Co both because of limited sightlines & too many entrances. This could be solved by sharing a driveway with the existing property— easy enough to organise rights of way etc.

    If the intention is actually to provide suitable accommodation for the OH's father, an extension would seem to be the way to go— and there's most likely grants available also. If the goal is a new house for yourself and the OH, that's clearly a different story.

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭chases0102

    Hi folks, thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

    Ultimately the goal would be to have our own, detached house next to in-laws, where a drive way would be shared, inan attempt to be in close proximity but also to have the space to raise our family.

    If that was deemed impossible, we would explore the options mentioned above, namely the extension etc.

    Absolutely agree about the prospect of a pre-planning meeting, as opposed to asking the internet - always seems to be the first port of call!

  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

    Mod Note: @chases0102 I deleted your same query in another thread so as to keep to one thread.