Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing Machine is sometimes filling up with water when a wash has not been run, whats going on?

Options
  • 02-11-2022 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

As the question states, sometimes the washing machine will just have water in the barrel. It doesn't happen after a wash as it drains fully but say I wash the clothes today and then go back to the machine in 2 days to put on another wash and I'd find water in the barrel. Usually removing the filter at the bottom of the machine drains out the water. But how do I stop this from happening?

Also, the water absolutely stinks.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

pull up the washing machine drain to form the inverted U and it might make an immediate improvement.

you might just need to disassemble and clear the traps. Slightly dirty job (put a basin under everything) but not a big deal.

Answers

Could water be flowing in the wrong direction from the drain into the washing machine? From a sink or some other appliance?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 TootBootRootShoot

I think it could be, I can hear the gurgle from the sink drain when the washing machine is going and also got similar smell from the sink drain before. I have used drain cleaner on the sink drain but the same thing. Do I need to call a plumber out to get this sorted? The water from the sink isn't completely going into the washing machine but it seems like it does "back up" in there somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

If its the drains sounds more like a handyman job to me?

OP check if there are any flexible pipe hanging down behind the washing machine or under the sink. The waste water pipe is probably plumbed in directly to the tap under the sink. Ideally the flexible waste pipe should be above the level of the connection to the sink apart from where its connected.

https://www.how-to-repair.com/help/washing-machine-is-constantly-filling-or-filling-when-switched-off/

Wake me up when it's all over.

A simple thing that could help is to make an upside down ‘u’ in the pipe.

you might have got a thing like this with the washing machine?

Universal U-Shape Drain Outlet Hose Hook, Suit for 20-26mm Pipes of Plumbing Home Domestic Appliances Washing Machine Dishwasher, 1 Pack https://amzn.eu/d/77xT3Z1

whether you do or not, it might help to tie the pipe to under the counter so the flexible drainpipe forms an upside down ‘u’ and runs downwards into the trap.

have a look at the section here entitled ‘no high loop’ on the following page, it may give you a clearer idea what I am talking about

https://structuretech.com/dishwasher-drains/

If you are getting a bad smell in the sink it is also a possibility that the trap or somewhere else on the line is blocked.

• Advertisement

I think this might be it.

I took everything out from the under-kitchen sink cupboard and took out the wooden panel at the back and found the setup in the attached photos.

It looks like the drainpipe from the washing machine joins the drainpipe from the main sink, this then joins the drainpipe from the small side sink into a single pipe which drains out completely.

I think its backing up from the main pipe because if it were, then the first exit/turn the backed-up water would take is the drainpipe from the main sink/washing machine and then before it gets to the main sink it turns off down the pipe for the washing machine.

Looks like the way its setup for any water coming back from a blockage the path of least resistance is into the washing machine.

I also live in an apartment so hope its not something to do with the plumbing of the building thats causing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I'd take apart the traps, do it one at a time and make sure you note where any washers fit and keep them to put back in. You'll probably find gunge in there, in the sink traps. Clean out and reassemble. Run some water down afterwards and check for drips. Have a look/ poke too at the pipe leading away before you assemble back each trap. What floor are you on?

Thanks I'll give that a try tomorrow. Could solve the issue of the water coming into the washing machine. Will have to see if I can fix the issue permanently otherwise I feel like I'll just shift the issue from washing machine to sink. Poured in some drain cleaner this evening

I'll clean out the traps and see.

I'm on 2nd floor (ground, first, second [us]).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

This all you need to do: Hopefully you have enough spare length in the hose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

When all that is done i would be doing a washing machine clean when empty with a cleaner or vinegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Shouldn't be an issue with waste water etc backing up so, I'd bet the gunge partially blocking is in and around your sink traps. Ideally every sink/ bath/ shower whatever should have it's own separate pipe run to the main waste stack. This to stop the flow in one sucking the water out of another trap and causing that gurgling sound. But common enough to plumb dishwasher waste into sink waste, below the trap.

Plumbing a washing machine into the sink waste? I don't know, maybe it's done in apartments. Certainly we have ours with it's own discharge pipe to the drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Plumbing a washing machine into the sink waste? I don't know, maybe it's done in apartments. Certainly we have ours with it's own discharge pipe to the drain.

Very common often the dishwasher is plumbed in the same way. When you can pick up a waste trap with a built in connection for washing machine and dishwasher anywhere that sells plumbing fittings I don't see many plumbers bothering with the traditional method.

However if this is a new problem and the waste pipe hasn't moved experience of cleaning out sink traps and drains for neighbors makes me think the trap could just be totally bunged up. Not that I'm saying its the issue here but I find it hard to believe that people can think tipping oil and fat down the drain isn't going to come back to haunt them.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement