Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysian Trumpet Snails

Options
  • 02-11-2022 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭

I noticed over the weekend that I now have MTS in the tank. No idea how they got there, bar the introduction of some guppies from the local fish shop. I've not added any new plants recently.

Anyone have them in their tanks? Are they as big a pest as made out online? Any advice on how to best deal with them? Not too sure to let them be but keep the numbers down, or if I should go all out to try to remove them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

They could well in the water with the guppies and you are lucky to get MTS for free this way 🤣. You didn't use a quarantine tank did you ha.

IMO snails are cool and they are very useful to the tank.

I am actually waiting my 2 pink ramshorn (last 2 from the shop) to breed a bunch before I introduced them to my tank that already has 3 assassins snails in it. So ya get a few assassin snails if you are worried of the population of MTS - but then if you don't like snails at all I could see dilemma there lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

They can be alright in small numbers for rotating the gravel but imo they’re unsightly if allowed to grow into big numbers - thankfully that only happens if there’s overfeeding happening often.

I’d look into getting a couple of assassin snails. They look cool and they prey on the smaller pest snails. I always like when there are small food chains like this in my tank, feels more natural and like an enclosed ecosystem.

Advertisement