Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspected intestinal lymphoma in dog

Options
  • 02-11-2022 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi, I’m wondering if anyone had any experience with the above and can offer any advice.

Millie is a 12 year old Golden Retriever and for the past year has had episodes of diarrhoea every few months. It usually resolved after a few days of chicken and rice but the last few times she has needed special food and meds.

After her most recent bout of it just over a month ago I had her back at the vet and when she was weighed she had lost over 4 kilos since her last weigh in at the end of April. That worried the vet so she did an ultrasound which showed a lot of inflammation in her intestines so they suspect either inflammatory bowel disease or lymphoma. They said the only way to know for sure is to open her up for biopsies and given her age, none of us want to do that. She has been getting vitamin B12 injections and is on steroids, but she has continued to lose weight. I am still hoping that it’s IBD but the vibe I’m getting from the vets is that they are not optimistic.

The thing is- she is still enjoying her food and walks and up to a few weeks ago was so lively that people couldn’t believe her age so it’s hard to believe she could have cancer.

Does anyone have any words of advice/suggestions of a better food possibly? Currently she is on Burns pork and potato and we have cut out all other bits she might have got other than the Burns pork and potato treats.

Sorry for the essay - I just feel a bit lost and she isn’t due back at the vet for another few weeks.

Advertisement