Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving abroad from Ireland alone

Options
  • 02-11-2022 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi, I’m currently living in Ireland and considering moving abroad sometime in the near future. I have been thinking a lot about Australia but I have no friends or contacts over there so would be doing this completely alone. Has anyone ever done this alone before or know or any social/support groups I could chat to with people who are thinking of doing or have done the same. TIA

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

There's a living abroad forum on here that might be more helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Hey OP

I did it. Twice.

I was typical home grown irish suburb boy.

Its scary, super scary to do.. and that scariness is painful at times.. quite a lot of times at the start. Then you learn that you are actually very capable of taking care of yourself and setting up a new life at the drop of a hat. You meet others doing the exact same. You meet locals happy for new people. You fall in love. You get a job and make job friends. You explore the new areas and meet hobby friends. Very soon (months..) you kinda forget that you didnt live here before.

Its scary, but well worth it. The level of resilience and confidence you develop is pretty absurd. Its a great terrible brilliant break from all your existing dynamics so you get to reinvent yourself to be the person you want to be much easier. Its basically free to do.

Applications and meetups make it super easy to meet people, and having a social hobby is huge bonus. Rock climbing is super social, so is surfing. Tinder, Hinge, bumble etc all help meet lovers and friends. Heck, its pretty easy to turn a date into a friend where its a win win for everyone.

As i said, its scary, and its ok to be scared. You will make it out the other side alive fast enough, and then its just never scary again. My second move didnt even create fear about it. I just randomly moved and figured it out. If i was to it again, id probably feel boredom at the repetition of it.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I've done it twice. If you're going somewhere like Australia just stay in a hostel when you arrive until you find somewhere permanent to live. You'll meet lots of people in the same situation.

Advertisement