Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with Portable Gas Heater not working

Options
  • 01-11-2022 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

I bought a Manhattan Portable Gas heater from Woodies a few years ago.

https://www.saharabbqs.com/product/manhattan-portable-gas-fire/

It has been working great... until this last weekend.

I stopped using it last April, I turned off the little switch on the Gas Cylinder and I actually left the tube connected between the heater and the little Calor gas tank over the summer. When I went to try and start it up I got nothing... not sound or smell or gas. I bought a new gas cylinder and this time it worked immediately and I ran it for a few hours. So I thought maybe the older cylinder has an air block or something?

A day later I tried the older gas cylinder again and got the same result BUT then when I put the newer cylinder back in again now it won't start with the newer cylinder either? Well it kind of does... I can get a tiny little flame if I leave it set to one... if I then try to increase to setting two or three then the flame just cuts out.

There are various replacement parts you can get for this portable gas heater such as an "Oxygen Detection Sensor" (ODS) and a "Burning Chamber" as shown in the link above. Does anyone know if it sounds like I need to replace one or both of these? Who would I bring this heater to in order to get it serviced?

Any help much appreciated.

Flex

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I would advise not using it until you have a gas installer look at it.

At the very least have a working carbon monoxide alarm nearby.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

So you think I should ask a Gas Installer then?

I thought about that but it's just a little portable gas heater, it's not a gas boiler that is hooked up to main gas or anything.

After some more research I'm thinking it could be a faulty Oxygen Detection Sensor that is shutting off the gas supply from the tank but really I'm just guessing.

I'll call a Gas Installer and see what they say.

Cheers,

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

If you're using a L/P regulator, like in the link, it could be faulty

Also, if it is the above, the black plastic ring on the bottom of the reg is the locking mechanism and needs to be pushed down hard to lock it onto the cylinder (you may already know that)

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

Thanks @Gen.Zhukov

Yes it's a regulator like that one or this one pretty much:

I'm pushing down on the black bit around the base of the regulator and as far as I can tell it is locking in to place... but maybe it isn't? I then turn the switch thing so you can see the red mark (not green as in this picture). I hold down the dial on the gas heater (and turn it from position one to two) and press the sparker button to ignite a flame. It's like there is a problem with the flow of gas. No gas comes out of one of the tanks then only a greatly reduced flow from the other tank.

I'm just wondering who should I call? When I google for "Portable gas repair" I keep getting results for gas boiler servicing but that's not what I need and I'm not sure if those technicians would be able to fix a portable gas heater.

Well I'll just call around then unless anyone here can advise me further.

Cheers,

Flex

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

This is a long shot but I would try to eliminate the possibility of the reg being faulty. If you knew someone using one, then see if their reg works on your set-up or that your reg doesn't work on their set-up

Googling - superser repair - might get you something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

OP, I use a few different gas appliances with the Jumbo regulators. Over the last 20 years I've replaced 4 of them when they have stopped working and several more for other people with the same problem. So what I am saying they do go faulty and in a way you indicate. Often the symptom is they seem to work but the amount of gas that comes out is frustratingly small so you can smell gas and light the appliance if you wait a bit but then the flame goes out again.

Another issue I came across last year was a batch of faulty gas bottles or rather the valves on them. The gas just wouldn't come out. Don't think a faulty gas bottle is you problem but worth bearing in mind.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement