Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will I ever be able to get in?

Options
  • 01-11-2022 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am 25 years old, self taught full stack developer, worked at a bank before coming back to Ireland. My question would be to ask you all my odds at UCC, specifically Computer Science, Physics or Mathematics.

I did absolutely piss poor in my leaving certificate because I did not appreciate anything when I was younger but soon after I realised my mistake and took up programming and got a decent job abroad. I just want to go back to education as I feel I’m now ready and fully motivated. I am good at maths and my job requires a massive amount of problem solving skills, I have been programming for 3+ years now.

I heard many others getting rejected for not having done well in maths and just not even getting to the interview stage either which pretty much killed my entire ambitions of possibly getting into UCC or any other uni.

Has anything changed recently or to be specific, do I stand any chance at all in getting in?

All answers appreciated.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Robert Nairac

Some specific courses might have a maths requirements for mature students. It would depend on what you are applying for. At UCC, you don't need to do an interview for the majority of courses.

If they say that maths higher level at a certain level is a hard requirement and you don't have it then it's unlikely you would get in. If it's just a recommendation then you might be alright. It really depends on what courses you are applying for.

I have found Irish universities other than Trinity to be pretty helpful when it comes to asking questions. Maybe send the university or the department an email and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

OP nothing ventured nothing gained. I did a masters in TCD about five years ago as a mature student. Entry requirements were normally a minimum of a 2.1 undergrad which i most definitely didn't have. I barely passed my primary degree from a not great college and didn't do that well on my leaving, I was far more interested in beer and girls at the time! They interviewed me and were satisfied that my experience was enough.

Won't lie, it was the hardest couple of years of my life working and studying for that, the thesis nearly broke me but it was the most rewarding and satisfying thing i have ever done. It gave such a boost to my confidence and self belief, just apply and see where it leads you.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement