If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Irish Car Insurance while living in uk

  • 31-10-2022 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1 Jimbush1

    Hi all…does anyone have experience or advice about this

    My Dad has given me his car and we want to leave it in Ireland as a run around for when any of us are at home…He doesn’t have his license any more and his insurance is over..

    I live in the UK and am having a right headache getting insurance either full time or part time when I would be over there…Ownership of the vehicle would be transferred to me etc and we only would be using it the few times we are back home.,

    I have been told I have to be in Ireland for over 6 months of the year to get insured there…There must be thousands of Irish people living abroad who are insured at home??

    Anywsys thanks in advance and any advice would be appreciated

    All the Best!!

    Post edited by Spear on


  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 23,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭ Spear

    Moved to a forum that's related to the topic instead.

  • Registered Users Posts: 24,645 ✭✭✭✭ coylemj

    Your dad should have kept his policy active and put you and other family members down as named drivers. If he was insured within the past two years, he should still have his no-claims discount. If the policy has open driving so anyone with a full licence and who is over 25 can drive it, tell him to get a neighbour to give it an occasional spin to keep the battery topped up.

    Or, if your father is ok to do an occasional short drive, tell him to renew his driving licence. It can be renewed if it isn't more than 10 years expired.

    There must be thousands of Irish people living abroad who are insured at home??

    Your experience says otherwise.

  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 8,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Jim2007

    As you are discovering, there are very few expats taking out Irish car insurance to cover then for the couple of times a year they are back in Ireland, because it makes no sense to pay all year round insurance to cover a couple of days a year. Most people are named drivers on Irish policies and assuming the are located in the EU/EEA/CH or it was pre BREXIT this works. I don't know what the position is post BREXIT, that is something you'd need to check with the insurance companies.

    @coylemj has given you probable the best suggestion for now. If that does not work then go to a broker, there are some companies that cover such risks, but expect to pay an arm or a leg for it.

    Just for info: be aware that as the resident of a third country driving such a vehicle across the NI border or on to the UK mainland could result in fines and penalties as it will be deemed to be an illegal import of the vehicle.