Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

keep or replace 12 year old HKC 1070

Options
  • 30-10-2022 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭

Greetings,

Son recently purchased a house with a HKC Alarm. He has a user code which is very tightly restricted. He can only perform set or unset, no access to logs etc. Unsurprisingly the default engineer code doesn't work. He is unable to find out who originally installed it (I think there's a name on the outside bell box, but perhaps they've gone out of business). It has gone off inexplicably recently saying tamper or battery low on RF devices. However, I think it says something like "Zone 11 *" or whatever, but he cannot figure which device is "Zone 11", if you see what I mean. The main problem is that it seems to prefer going nuts when he's out, and better still at say 03:30, thus annoying the hell out of the neighbours. (* could be any zone number, I don't remember exactly what he said at the time.)

He powered it down completely, including removing the battery, then removed JP1, then powered up again but the system retained its config - presumably the "don't allow default" option was set at installation. To prevent further consternation for the neighbours, he has completely removed all power. I thought this was odd - the SABB didn't go nuts. So I got him to look at the SABB connections - turns out there's absolutely nothing wired to the panel, except the user panel, SABB must be RF. Given that the SABB LEDs were never working since he moved in, it was suspected that the battery inside was dead. BUT... the SABB activates on alarm condition. So, where to next??

HE's handy enough with electronics/computers, so I've suggested he simply bite the bullet and get a new 10270 and configure all over again. He thinks that's a waste of money. I've asked around hoping to find some independent alarm installer who would go over and default the panel for him, but no joy- insofar as no one in my circle knows an alarm guy. But assuming someone can do it, I presume there'll be a sort of call out charge or whatever, and I'm sure no one calls to your house these days for under €100, making buying a new one perhaps more economical. THe existing box has a sticker in it that says "SW -1070bV1.04 JUL 2010" which suggests it could be up to 12 years old.

What would you guys do?

BTW, full disclosure, I am NOT an installer, but I personally installed my own system about 3 years ago (following some great advice I got on here!), using 10270, but all hardwired. I know how it all works and how to configure it, so can give him some pointers - if he'll listen 🤣.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭davidconroy46

Is there a installer name on the keypad panel or external bellbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Thanks for the response, David. Apparently, there's a three letter name on the SABB, but offhand I can't remember it, something like ABC. I don't know if there was also a phone number as well, but my son said he couldn't get them - I think if there was a number it was out of service, or there was no number. There's nothing outside or inside the actual panel, nor is there anything on the user panel. If the alarm was installed in 2012, the house has changed hands twice since.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭davidconroy46

Phone number?

Not sure whether or not there was a phone number. I'll report back if there was.

edit: to say: I'm proposing that he simply dumps the existing box and replace it with a brand new one, as to my mind he might be throwing good money at a box with a limited lifespan anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭altor

The system he has is the older PCB, still a 1070.

Software update will bring it up to the latest version.

• Advertisement

Hi Altor,

Thanks for your comment. He actually went out this morning and bought a brand new SW10270. He'll have a fun time playing with it. I'm going to advise him to not connect the RF-SABB yet, until he diagnoses the tamper alarms on the RF sensors.

Is there anything to worry about when trying to connect RF devices to the new panel - ie do the old ones 'remember' that they were connected to the original panel? I assume whipping out the batteries and putting in new ones, then following the normal RF device installation procedure, will do the trick. (The old panel is completely powered off and removed). My own house is a 10270, but everything is hardwired (by choice, I'm old fashioned 😆).

Given the age of the system, it'll probably be necessary(better) to replace all batteries at the same time. I've done some reading of the helpful posts about this from you, David and others on this forum. In the short term, I think it'll be better to just put new batteries in SABB and fully activate the LEDs, to make the thing obvious - there's currently a spate of break-ins in the area. Eventually, a route will be found to get 12v up to it and replace the batteries with rechargeables.

Thanks for the comments, folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭altor

No harm replacing the batteries if the system is old.

The good thing with the latest software is you can disable tampers on the older devices if you do have an issue with them.

Once older system is not talking to the sensors you should have no issues connecting them to the newer panel.

Just do a scan and learn them in.

There is a special battery for the sabb if you do give it a 12V supply, the 2 packs need to be removed.

Well, new panel installed with new keypad and 12v battery. All RF contact/sensors 'found' and identified. However, only two are working. The working ones differ from the non-working. Firstly, I say they're not working because upon trying to set the alarm, the warning comes up "open zone" etc etc. These zones are all shocks with nearby contacts physically wired into them, and no magnet beside the sensor reeds on-board the device. All these are ok as disconnected the wires from the RF device and checked for continuity with a mm, then opened the window to prove the reeds were working. Also shorted out the alarm terminals and replaced battery, but still shows "open Zone".

The working ones have the alarm terminals and tampers shorted with a loop of wire, but they have a magnet on the door itself, which lines up with the part of the RF device that has the word "sensor" printed on the mini pcb.

All tampers are cleared, and all devices show "Battery OK".

I'm assuming this is a configuration problem, but the install manual doesn't highlight anything useful (although I'm currently re-reading it in peace and quiet).

Any pointers?

Cheers!

panic over. RF Zone Options fixed it. So, 'reed on ' is the default, just switched all the others to "no" and crisis averted. Just putting that up to say what I did.

Advertisement