Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying Car ,Discovered Engine Removed

Options
  • 30-10-2022 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭

wife was talking to dealer about a 192 Tucson , was told he had one coming in with low mileage (35,000) for 31,000, was told it would take a week or so to arrive and be serviced and valeted , wife asked for photos and was given 1 photo taken at an angle , she spotted there was a good bump on the bumper near the wheel arch ,

could not get any more info so wife decided to do some investigating and blagged her way to where the car was in the workshop , it had multiple big dings and scrapes and funnily enough , the engine was out of it ,

now aside from the cosmetic defects , can anyone tell me a genuine reason for removing an engine from a 192 car that isn't a serious issue , obviously we now have serious doubts about this car esp seeing another thread here about a 2017 Tucson engine seizing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

It’s had a very serious issue with the engine.

Not sure why this would give you doubts though, it’s most likely going to have a new or at least refurbed engine fitted which means it’s got 30k less miles of wear on the engine than you had been anticipating? If anything it makes the deal a lot sweeter.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'd be asking the dealer for what happened, for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Just buy another one if there as many red flags as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭goochy

There is no shortage of those cars so move onto next one

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just looking on carsireland.ie and they have 141 2019 Tucsons for sale. Why on earth would anyone be still dwelling on this one after all that? Be glad you dodged a bullet.

There are also plenty of them selling for less than 31k too.

For example:

https://www.carsireland.ie/3179900

In fact you can even buy a 2020 model for between 30k and 31k:

https://www.carsireland.ie/3128761

https://www.carsireland.ie/3045436

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tony H

he's on holiday until Thursday

Its a nice bargaining position to be in , but the wife (the boss her car) is of the opinion that if an engines taken out , its never the same again 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Strong possibility it's getting a new engine under manufacturers warranty.

Low mileage and a few dings and scrapes sounds like an elderly driver.

Ask him on Thursday.

If you are still interested check out the bodywork before it's worked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I'd ask if the garage can give you some more information about the car and not say you know anything. If they don't mention the engine then don't consider it further. On the other hand if they say they took the engine out and gave a reason then it might still be worth thinking about.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

TBH i wouldn't even ask them and walk away now. they should have been upfront with that information.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭goochy

Op it's not a rare car and it's not a bargain . Don't walk from it run from it . Normanly a main dealer would sell anything suspect off to trade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

On some cars you have to remove the engine for jobs like the clutch, changing the gearbox etc so having an engine out isn't a rare or unusual.

The high level of body damage is a bigger issue as that will require bodywork and a respray which is going to be expensive to do properly and look terrible if not.

If you look to buy it do a history check and bring it to your own mechanic so they can check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭User1998

Its been pointed out that the car is overpriced so if you were smart you would shop around and buy elsewhere. Regardless of all this engine out stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tony H

Its an exec plus model so not too overpriced , anyway thanks for all the helpful comments ,

She decided to go a bit smaller so a nearly new Renault Captur is on her radar now ,

More fecin test drives in my immediate future😘

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Advertisement