Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I make this extension work

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Subject to planning of course, but you could I fill and join the 2 roofs to form one uniform look.

Yes it’s completely possible and straight Doody never to planning and cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Squatman

How much spaced do you need for making love? :)

yes, everything/anything is possible, do you want to join the shed via hallway, or another room? the practicalities are, gable wall needs to go, shed door, and windows need to go, Roof on btoh needs to be joined, or create a 3rd peak on the roof.

My opinion is.

you have what looks to be a very well designed and built house and shed, that look really well. if you go combining them, the physical appearance will not be as nice.... or would take considerable expense to make it look original. I presume there is no option to convert attic?

also, looks like you will have boiler and sewer considerations if amalgamating both buildings. id estimate it will take 100k to join. 10k for roof, 10k plumbing, 10k insulation (floor, walls, attic,) 10k builder. 5k architect Planning (assuming its not at the back of the house), 10k windows/doors. couple of k for plastering. 10k ish to finish internally. youl have to repair tarmac too, plus footpaths.... all the while trying to see if you can get a builder to take it on.

my own experience was from architect to builder "iv a builder coming on monday to price it"... builder "il come on jan 14th, if a project im pricing falls thru" 2 other prospects wouldnt come and look at it, and 3rd quoted 40k more, without looking at it. I decided any build will be done on my terms, and not the builders. so i sat down, reviewed the house drawings and came up with a really cool way to modernise the house.

I bought a kango, knocked walls, insulated the bejasus out of it, installed the most expensive ensuite in the showroom, and same for the carpet (not going by price, but it was what we wanted) and got a savage new ensuite built, plumbed, with built in wardrobes, tiled, carpeted for approx 8k. i did all the labour an wiring, and got sparks to finalise on it. the work took probably 2 months, but the bulk of it was done when i took 2 weeks off work.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭PaidV

Sorry for the delay responding, think I was in shock when I saw the 100k estimate 😨😀. Yeah I don't think I could justify that much having spent 180k on a renovation in 2014.

Okay so other option Is an attic conversion, I've a photo below, do you think this is feasible? Height to highest point in the roof at the moment is about 2.22m. The width of the house is narrow enough so there is only about 1.1m in width above 1.9m in height if that makes sense...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Do you really need the extra space? The build you outlined will spoil the look of the house. Would you consider a sheomra or other modular building in the garden instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭PaidV

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

No idea, but a few minutes on the phone should find that out.

All construction is expensive!

Depends on what you plan to use the space for. MY upstairs room is appox 5'11" to the apex, and have slept 6 people up there. True i wouldnt like it to by my master bedroom, but the kids, and relatives/neighbours love it.. if going down that route, i wouls suggest spray foam insulation. if your unsure of head space, feel free to throw in a window box, or whatever thats called, to expand on high headspace. I think, unless ye are giants, taht this would be a viable option.

• Advertisement

I took the OPs comment that he wants if to be habitable floor space. In which case it doesn't depend, and very much matters.

5'11" to the apex means that ant average height male would be able to stand up anywhere other than the apex. It might function as a kids playroom, or kids bedroom. But it's non-compliant with building regs. So it isn't an actual bedroom, the impacts the value it adds to the house, and potentially the funding.

you're making a lot of assumptions there. - if the op is a dwarf for example, then the head height absolutely doesn't matter, similarly if used for a kids bedroom, it similarly wouldn't matter. there's a host of scenarios where this doesn't matter. I notice, you haven't actually contributed positively to the forum, so might be best to stay out?

to confirm, i never referred to it as a bedroom, for which I'm sure it would be non-compliant, however not non-compliant as a store. similarly did not impact funding in my case.

Perhaps its best to sit quiet and look stupid, than open your mouth and confirm it?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,855 ✭✭✭✭muffler

It doesn't matter whether its dwarfs or giants living in a house with restricted head height in the attic. There are regulations that govern this and have to be adhered to.

And yes, you referred to your own attic room as being a bedroom when you said ... "MY upstairs room is appox 5'11" to the apex, and have slept 6 people up there. True i wouldnt like it to by my master bedroom, but the kids, and relatives/neighbours love it"

please, point out where I made an assumption? Because it seems like you’re spouting nonsense. A dwarf’s room? Kids room? Neither of those scenarios allow people to ignore the law.

I notice, you haven't actually contributed positively to the forum, so might be best to stay out?

Interesting. And in what basis is you opinion in anyway relevant ? Or qualify you to say which contributions are positive ?

to confirm, i never referred to it as a bedroom,

well that’s clearly a lie. You referred to multiple people sleeping in it. But by all means clarify what you meant. is it a bedroom or a storeroom?

Assumption 1. "i took the ops comments that ..."

There is no law prohibiting the building of a store room of any shape or size in any house.

Comment 1 no where near enough height - this does not in any way answer or contribute to the question I've a detached garage and would like to join the house and garage to extend loving space. Is this possible or am I dreaming,. i dont need to quote the calamity that is your other comments.

well that’s clearly a lie. You referred to multiple people sleeping in it. But by all means clarify what you meant. is it a bedroom or a storeroom

I referred to 6 people sleeping in it. have you ever had people sleep in the sitting room? and if so, does that make it a bedroom? it is a store room, is on my drawings as a store room, and there's nothing stopping me sleeping as many people as will fit in it.

I am happy to help the hard of learning, but please, this is an onerous waste of time, perhaps have your carer explain some of these comments, i unfortunately have exhausted my goodwill responding to this seafoid.

There is no law prohibiting the building of a store room of any shape or size in any house.

Nobody said there was. The thread isn’t about a store room. OP has existing storage that he wants to convert to habitable space. The existing attic is storage, he was asking about a conversion.

have you ever had people sleep in the sitting room?

The sitting room is habitable living space. A storeroom is not living space. That is not complicated.

Maybe you are happy to have your kids bedroom be a storeroom. But OP asked about adding on Living Space not storage.

i dont need to quote the calamity that is your other comments.

That’s ok. Clearly you can use the quote function.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You should look at the Loft Conversion section of Technical Guidance Document Part B.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

This thread is actually funny.

Mellor is a professional in this field and is 100 percent correct in everything he has stated.

Squadman wrongly believes he can circumvent the building regs by building a store room for dwarfs and he is calling mellor a fool. As I said. It's funny.

Regarding the initial question. Considering the proposed works would result in the loss of a shed which would need to be factored into an calculations, it might make more sense to design an extension that might allow as little of the existing as possible to be disturbed.

Literally everything you have said and assumed is wrong, even your last line.

LMFAO. All three are absolutely correct.

The two scenarios were a dwarf bedroom or a child's bedroom. Neither allows you to ignore the law. Also, note you literally said Bedroom, not storeroom as you later claimed.

Nobody in the whole thread claimed there was a law against storage space. Should be very easy to point to the post if I'm mistaken.

As for claiming the OP wasn't asking about a conversion. He literally said

Okay so other option Is an attic conversion...

For your sake I wouldn't be bringing wits into it. Just keeping digging.

Advertisement