Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV has started turning itself on again after being turned off

Options
  • 28-10-2022 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

Nothing to do with updates (not a smart TV!).

Walker WP19DVDV12, One for all URC 1918 replacement remote.

We turn it off, start moving away to do something else, and it's on again. (Only way to keep it off is to switch off the wall socket).

Can't find the same problem by searching - anyone heard of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Just to eliminate, turn off and remove batteries from remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Turkish1

Are you using a new virgin media box? I have found that if I turn my TV off (with the tv remote and not the virgin remote) the TV will turn back on after about 5mins..

Too many times I have had to get out of bed to turn it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

It's Halloween..... so clearly.... you have a ghost?!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Thanks all.

I didn't get round to trying the remote battery thing, but thanks for the tip!

We have no Virgin Media box, or any 'set-top' box these days, unless you count the TV's built-in Freeview & Saorview. (Our entertainment corner is terrestial only).

It's clearly a Halloween thing. After a decent period of normality electronics-wise, the gremlins had a bit of fun earlier this week with our TV's sound (it's via a soundbar with its own remote, but in our setup the TV volume's adjusted from the TV remote only).

They somehow got the TV into earphone mode, and kept fading the sound to nothing soon after the TV was turned on. I eventually stumbled on the magic spell against that - pressing the Sound button on the soundbar's remote, twice. (Though I can't remember at what point).

The power to our TV, stereo and associated devices in that corner is via a multiple extension lead, plugged into a wall socket handy for switching off at night to kill the standby lights (and yesterday, to turn the TV off). I also pulled the plug out at bedtime, as we do when there might be lightning around. When my husband re-inserted the plug and switched on the socket this morning to get the news on the radio, the TV came on uninvited (doing the last thing it was told to by something, I suppose). But this time, when I used the TV remote power button, it went into standby as normal, and stayed there. Another press of the button turned it on, and it stayed on until turned off, and so on (and it's still behaving itself). So it looks as if a better known spell did the trick (depriving the device of electricity for a while).

I spoke too soon! We turned it on today for the lunchtime news, then turned it off. This time it stayed off for about an hour, just to catch us off our guard, then turned itself on again.

So disconnection time again, stereo system and all. (My husband built that corner to our requirements, including a shelf below for the cables and other necessary clutter, and I don't feel like disrupting my careful cable management every time we want the TV on or off!). Luckily, we usually want Irish radio just in the mornings, then our internet radio takes over. (There is Freeview for radio, but we have to somehow cover the screen - too distracting, especially for my other half!).

I'll try that TV remote reset tomorrow and go on from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭FoxForce5

OP obviously hadn't seen the movie Poltergeist.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,267 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Perhaps your neighbours got a new TV with same remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Mech1

Who got the remotes wet?

Who drinks the most alcohol?

There's your culprit!

Good thinking about neighbours' remotes, but I forgot to mention that interference from outside doesn't figure here in our country location. (The beam from the nearest possible remote would have to travel diagonally out of a window, across the road and two gardens and through our thick stone wall, then do a curve to face the front of our TV).  Internally, I've always had interference in mind when placing devices and cables (though it's always worth an occasional check).

Today, we reconnected at the wall socket  and turned on the radio for the 11am news headlines, and the TV came on too.  Turned it off, and 45 mins later it was on again.  Turned it off, and removed TV remote batteries.  (No sign of moisture, dust or corrosion visible via the battery compartment or from tapping it, or buttons that hadn't sprung up again properly).  TV came on again 3O mins or so later; nearly time for TV news,.so left it on and put the remote batteries back in.  Tried the volume controls, and the indicator on the screen had reverted to showing the earphone symbol; but this time without fading the sound away.  (The volume stayed where we put it  throughout  45 mins of news).  Then turned TV off, and it's been on standby about an hour so far without turning itself on…..

So what happens next in Poltergeist?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

If you have a firestick , replace the batteries on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭FoxForce5

You need a small woman who speaks like cartnan from South park and u need to check your house want built on an Indian burial ground.

Advertisement