Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why are some people turning at 90 degree intersections like if they are driving a truck??

Options
  • 28-10-2022 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I mean, why do they have to move to the left or right lane to turn??

If I need to turn sharp, I just turn the wheel and the car follows, my car is not 10 m long 😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,764 ✭✭✭amacca

Why do people drive excessively slow before they turn?

Or when there is lots of space why don't they pull the **** over properly to let traffic pass?

Or why do they insist on merging with much faster moving traffic but make no attempt to even get close to matching pace?

Etc....I think the answer is some people are morons, some people are unskilled, some are unaware, some made a mistake and don't do moron things regularly, some just like their way of doing it and until they experience a painful personal consequence they won't change in a month of Sundays

The problem is I'm afraid to complain on the basis the solution always seems to be more education, more lessons or more consequences that **** me up too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

The ones turning right off the main road that cut across over the the lane that that car in your image is in are the ones that annoy me the most. And its nearly always women. There, I said it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Lack of spatial awareness, inability to perceive how their actions can impact other road users, poor instruction, ‘Shure that’s how daddy drives’.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

A lot of foreign drivers in Ireland also, not sure what tests they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

This comes up fairly regularly normally in the guise of why to people swing right out in the middle of the road before they turn left into a junction. Here its just the other way around.

My usual dumb comment is its due to years of evolution and many Irish with farming ancestory have just evolved to drive every vehicle as if they are driving a tractor towing a trailer.

Or its just bad driving - just imagine where on the road those drivers would be without power steering.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭bigroad

Whoever is teaching them to indicate right and then left when exiting on the road directly opposite, basically straight through on a single carriage roundabout should be shot and then we have the other moron's who don't use any indication.

Probably just slow in the head .

‘I’ll have an extra helping of prejudice with my thread please’

Cui bono?

Its not prejudice only, huge numbers of drivers coming in from countries where the exam wouldn't be rigorous and they learned to drive on the right under different rules of the road.

I know I swapped a foreign license for an Irish one and that license didnt require any road test.

Read that sentence again for emphasis.

Sick and tired of the racist accusations when one mentions foreign this or that.

You are the one acting ignorant. In SOME of the cases you are going to have poorly trained foreign drivers who have to learn how to drive on the left and never received road driving education.

And yet the vast majority, nearly all in fact, of people before the courts for road traffic offences are Irish. Visit local District Court next week if you don’t believe me.

Road traffic deaths, invariably Irish people, read any news report, they are all the same.

But why go on, it’s them foreigners that is the problem, isn’t it? You can’t say anything negative, widesweeping and without foundation about them without someone jumping down your throat. What’s the world coming to, at all?

Cui bono?

Swinging right before going left? Pro move, that could be a getaway driver with race experience.... transferring weight to take the corner faster😅

• Advertisement

I'll admit I do that.....genuinely instructed to do so and when I did the driving test I could swear I saw a diagram in the rules of the road that meant that was what you were supposed to do.

If you intend to take first exit indicate left, if its second or third etc indicate right first and then indicate left just before exit??......then again instructor may have been dodgy, he insisted you were to do it directly opposite and didn't like my suggestion that it might be too late at that point and he definitely didn't like how often I forgot for the second exit.....

Who knew my beginner incompetence might have been the right thing all along ...

So if its single carriage then no need to indicate right initially and then left at second exit?....just indicate left at second exit?

For third and subsequent indicate right then left?

And if two lanes back to indicate right then left for second exit or no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭bigroad

Do the same unless crossing lanes.

Usually right hand lane to go for exit 3 or higher.

Left lane for exit 1 .

Left and right lane can go for exit 2 if there are 2 lanes or a merging lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Our test isn't that difficult, yet nearly 50% fail it. We've plenty of our own bad drivers that the percentage of foreign drivers are insignificant.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭dbas

Middle aged Irish drivers are definitely the worst. No indicators and no clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Yet they have the cheapest insurance and best track record.

On the other had, young drivers.......

Nearly as bad as the morons who don't know when to use an apostrophe!

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭dbas

no, it just means you were unlucky and the other morons were lucky.

Actually our TEST is genius level compared to some of the road testing authorities around the world. As I said I have been around and where I lived before they only introduced a road testing component last year. American driving test is a joke.

You can't say that is not significant , there are huge numbers of foreign drivers in Ireland and Dublin in particular, between immigrants and tourists.

I saw one headcase coming towards me a month ago on the wrong side of a country road, local or foreigner, who knows, but there is a reason they put drive on the left signs at tourist spots here.

I am NOT saying Irish are great either, main problem with Irish drivers is they drive too fast on country roads. Also a lot of impatient aggressive drivers in Dublin. However most Irish drivers are very good to pedestrians at zebra crossings and know to avoid cyclists, compared to other countries they are great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Field east

The signage for the turn off for Waterford on the M7 - Dublin to xCork /Limerick motorway needs to be ‘more in your face’. A number of my acquaintances and myself while travelling on the left-slow- lane have found the signage too close to the turnoff or you could miss it because of big trucks/ busy traffic/poor visibility . So when you suddenly realise that you are on the left lane and you are going to Limerick and are almost at the turnoff you have to almost immediately have to change lanes - and only of course if it is safe to do so. Otherwise you will have to continue onto Waterford and avail of the first opportunity to get back onto the M7. I had to make such an adjustment twice recently. It’s not a journey I frequently make. It’s probably ok for those drivers who travel the M7 frequently

its the same for those that are travelling on the two right lanes and have to suddenly change lanes if they want to go to Waterford.

in summary, my point is that the signage for the turn off for Waterford on the M7 - coming from Dublin should be more definite, bigger and maybe highlighted at three points on the road to reinforce that the turnoff is coming up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Field east

There has been a number of accidents where vehicles park on the service road on motorways. There are of course situations where drivers feel that they have so suddenly stop and park on the service road eg. A sudden very ‘funny’ noise , puncture, , a burning smell, steam from rad, sudden tiredness , etc. what CONCERNS me is that some drivers park right on the tarmac part and make no effort to pull in further and park on the loose stone verge between the ditch/green area and the tarmac. In almost all situations the area for a few yards immediately to the left of the tarmac is solid enough to park on and take off from .

so if one has to make an emergency stop a big improvement would be to at least park the vehicle half on the gravel part pad half on the tarmac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Rally drivers do that to get around corners more efficiently, why people do it in towns and villages going to the shops is beyond me...getting a good swing at a corner, Jesus Christ.

There's a place near me where there's 2 lanes, straight on and a right turn. The amount of times I see people veer left into the straight on lane to get a swing at the right turn is ridiculous. You're talking sub 30 kmsph here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

far better that what we did up to about 20 years ago when we caught up with what most countries did for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

seriously?

The signage starts over 3km from the exit and then from 2km to the START of the vere, the lane markings change. So about 2.5km all in for the overhead gantries.

You need to be an appalling driver with no awareness to find this difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

From what I remember, the countries outside the EU that you can straight swap a license for an Irish one are limited. I am pretty sure the US isn't on that list. They can use theirs for a year and then they have to take the full Irish test (from memory).

You are correct, it is taking the racing line. I see this frequently. People will swing out or in and then take the corner at the apex. The only problem is the people I see doing this are usually going 30 in a Micra and yet the line they take you'd think you were following them through La Rascasse.

Testosterone is a hell of a drug. I agree with Maninasia re differences in test levels, but something they get right in the US is limiting the number of young passengers a young driver can have in the car with them. Testosterone and being egged on by an audience is a deadly combination.

Rascasse 🤣

I often wonder if they have adjusted their independent suspension, put the right amount of toe out on their wheels and tailored their brake bias ..or are they trying to save the carbon ceramic brakes on the lamborghini landcruiser...

What has that got to do with drivers swinging wide on approach to corners?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I knew an old man who if he saw someone driving like that would say -

"he must have learned to drive with an ass and cart" 🙂

• Advertisement
Advertisement