Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

bmw reliabity

Options
  • 27-10-2022 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

Hi just a query, I've been driving an Audi A4 for 5 years havnt had hardly any issues at all, and I'm looking now at buying a 2013 bmw, hearing horror stories re BMWs is putting me off, it says on advert it's a 3 series f30 d xdrive, just wondering if anyone has any experience of this model and any huge issues could run into if buy it. It has 100,000 miles on clock.

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Assuming it's the 2.0 litre diesel then it would be the less than robust N47 engine which has a well known problem with the timing chain. The chain can stretch, become noisy and will need replacing or it can break without warning and do fatal damange to the engine. Many of these cars had the chain replaced at this stage so buying one that has had it replaced already is alot less risky than buying one that hasn't. Look for evidence of it having been replaced. As with any nearly 10 year old car alot will depend too on how it was looked after by previous owners. Proof of regular servicing especially oil changes is paramount.

BTW xdrive is BMW speak for all wheel drive similar to Audi's quattro system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

You will generally get two responses to the BMW reliability question

Owners who have had no trouble at all, and those who have had a lot of trouble.

I was the latter, a lot of warranty work needed on a four year old car, thankfully I had the excellent BMW warranty. If you are buying an older BMW without warranty you really need to buy on condition and service history, get the car checked by a mechanic and go in with your eyes open. 2013 also means suspension, cooling and turbo may all need attention. And make sure all the EGR recalls have been carried out.

Xdrive also adds a layer of things to go wrong and if you don't need the four-wheel-drive it is best avoided IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭buzzing147

I've been put off it now, how would it compare to an Audi A4 b8 which I've had for 5 years and hardly any issues? Thinking of upgrading to the b9 model 2016 onwards but a bit pricey compared to prices 2 years ago

Post edited by buzzing147 on

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭gerarda

I know 2 mechanics (over 60 years experience between them) who wouldn't touch a BMW, they are a nice car that are great to drive but when things go wrong its time to get out the credit card, they are very high maintenance and a labour of love. They have dealt with countless BMW owners who thought they run their BMW for the same cost as a Toyota. Stick with the Audi.

Advertisement