Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marine shortwave

Options
  • 27-10-2022 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Is the marine shortwave band still a thing?

I'm asking this as I know someone who has a few old radios they thought I might be interested in. One of them in particular is a Fidelity brand one which I'm guessing probably dates from the early 1970s (BBC R2 marked in the middle of the LW dial would be a hint).

What is interesting is that it has a marine band (1.7 - 4.5 MHz), in addition to MW (I already have a tuner that picks up MW quite well), LW (not much left on here) & SW (5.8 - 15.5 kHz, which I probably could have fun listening to although I suspect my 1990s Sony handheld is much better suited to that task).

I would suspect there is far less activity on the marine SW band compared with, let's say, 15 - 20 years ago, but is there any traffic at all on these frequencies nowadays?

Advertisement