Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plane - Gerard Butler

Options
  • 27-10-2022 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭

I am a sucker for a trashy Gerard Butler action flick, with added Mike Colter! Yes please.

Comments

Haha…..me too. Even though we know exactly what is doing to happen (even without the trailer telling the entire story)

It shows where Gerard Butler sits in the national consciousness that I was certainly not alone in imaging him at the Queens funeral in case anything untoward happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,648 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

No snakes?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jesus could they not even have tried to come up with a more compelling name? Plane. It's about a plane. Uh, ok.

Surprising amount of Mike Colter in that trailer; wonder is he the real protagonist and Butler's the "star" power.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Watched it last night, its a decent action flick, some nice kills but the ending is ridiculous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Wanted to enjoy it but I ended up reporting the twit in front of me for basically recording the whole thing to the staff. Didn't think people did that any more.

It's getting harder and harder to justify paying for the cinema.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Absolutely hate that kind of nonsense.

I tend to stick to the lighthouse crowd 99 percent sound. If I want to see a big film in one of the chains I go really early.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Still a bit irked. Why do people seem unable to live without their phones for an hour or two? I live 20 minutes walk from a Cineworld. Too handy to justify travelling.

Regarding the actual film, it seemed like standard Gerard Butler fare. I like Mike Colter so it was good to see him again.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

This was a pleasant surprise, really enjoyed it. I'm fast becoming a Gerard Butler fan, Den of thieves was a belter and so is this.

Den of thieves, fallen series, law abiding citizen great fun.

Anyone even looks at a phone in the cinema and I want to kill them

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Niska

It's getting a sequel called - checks it's not April 1st - Ship...

It'll star Mike Colter - no work on Gerard Butler.

For me this was alright, passed a couple of hours. But Butler is slowly getting into Neeson territory where each film gets about 10% lazier than the last, and eventually sinks to barely scraping 5.5/10 on the IMDB's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I love a good auld Gerard Butler action flick. Good entertainment to switch off the brain on a Friday night. I've watched most of his movies in the past few years - and I haven't noticed any drop in quality, unlike say Bruce Willis or Liam Neeson (who you mentioned). Most of Neeson's output in the past 5 years has been drivel. No atmosphere in the films. Just Liam doing as he always does, but not very convincingly any more.

But Gerard Butler's have always been entertaining and quite well done e.g.

Den of Thieves

Plane

Law Abiding Citizen

Olympus Has Fallen

Angel Has Fallen

London Has Fallen

Last Seen ALive

Greenland

Hunter Killer

THese films are not going to win oscars, but, for me anyway, they are all at decent standard to provide a good 2 hours entertainment each.

For me the last 3 have been a significant drop in quality. Copshop was really really bad very cheap low quality production. Plane was a straight to dvd action flick of the past, whereas everything before that was a notch or two higher in budget and everything else. We will see next on the one!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭SheepsClothing

Gerard Butler films are perfect for watching with my Dad. No highfalutin ideas, just an ordinary guy with a questionable American accent, in exceptional circumstances. I've got Plane queued up for the next movie night.

He's scottish in this which I think works way better for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,867 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He'd another one I quite enjoyed a wee while back too, The Vanishing, where he gets to be Scottish as well. Not quite as 'action-hero' a movie, but still easily accessible and good fun and tension.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I enjoyed the movie over the weekend but im partial to a bit of Gerard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

Snap! Watched the fallen series over 3 nights with my 79yo Dad (as soon as my mother was in bed!)

• Advertisement

Plane

Train

Automobile

They missed a trick there by going with Ship.

Plane is good rubbish. Switch your brain off and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 toddpayne

Haven't watched a Gerard Butler movie since Law Abiding Citizen and Gamer. Thinking of watching Plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Plane is an easy watch. Nothing ground breaking; but enjoyable.

Is Gamer any good. Have never seen it or even heard of it. Law Abiding Citizen is good.

If you haven't watched Den of Thieves, I highly recommend it. Brilliant heist movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's a nice watchable yarn, if Butler wasn't in it the film would be certainly a straight to DVD/VHS B movie. The producers should watch Speed 2 in how to not make an action film based on a ship. The next installment should be something between The Poseidon Adventure and Captain Philips.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Homelander

Butler still makes some reasonably good movies.

This, Greenland, Copshop are all very decent films and good entertainment.

Plane wouldn't win any awards but it passes the time well enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,968 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Great film. Really enjoyed it. Very easy watch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭crushproof

Grand old popcorn movie for a quiet Sunday evening. Load of absolute nonsense and how they got that plane flying is beyond me.

Just looked up Swedish girl who was one of the passengers... wow

• Registered Users Posts: 4 toddpayne

Oh! Great! I'd watch Den of Thieves. I was thinking that it'd be no Heat or even The Town. Anyway, I'd watch it and come tell you.

Gamer is a cheesy action movie. Either you'd love it or hate it. I haven't recommended it to anyone. It's made by the same guys who made Crank.

Law Abiding Citizen might be good but I'm unsure of the last 15 minutes. I'd watch Plane too. Also, I haven't even watched Butler's White House Fallen series.

• Advertisement
Advertisement