Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaeltacht for an overnight trip, where to go, for any/maximum immersion

Options
  • 26-10-2022 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

On 5th November I've promised my teenage daughter that we'll drive to some part of Ireland and try get a bit of exposure/immersion in the Irish language.

She's fluent having been in a Gaelscoil but now in an English speaking secondary school and losing the opportunity for conversational Irish. I'm fairly strong at it from actively raising her and her siblings all through the Gaelscoil to this point.

We'll be leaving from the east coast and I'm prepared to drive anywhere and do an overnight.

Is there any knowledge whatsoever as to anywhere at all we could visit, get involved in chats, if there was a daytime or evening event, gathering, show, anything in Irish, and then maybe end the day in a pub where Irish might be spoken.

I'm struggling to find too much but it could be I'm looking in the wrong places.

Any response to this directly or by direct messaging would be warmly welcomed.

GRMMA.

A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

An Cheathrú Rua/Carraroe, Ceantar na nOileán, or Carna in Galway/Connemara would all fit the bill?

There's lots of irish in Galway city as well, you could go to a play in An Taibhdhearc and then wander over to the irish language club and bar, Áras na nGael. Links below.

But I'm sure there are many options from An Rinn, west Kerry/Corca Dhuibhne, Gweedore and environs, and they probably all have interesting things going on. You should check out some of the many series on the TG4 player which involve people touring the Gaeltacht areas for a multitude of reasons, be it musical or just documenting the communities, it'll whet your curiosity and help you find something that may enchant.

Advertisement