Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa for Holiday to USA

Options
  • 26-10-2022 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hi, had a look online and between ESTA and Visa Waiver programs I cannot make out which route I need to take if going for a week to the US.

Irish National, valid passport with a few years left on it.

Also, can I apply for a visa before booking flights and just select a period that I will be travelling between?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,340 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I am heading out to the US for the first time in a few weeks and I applied for the ESTA. My understanding is that if your stay is less than 90 days over a two year period then you go for ESTA. If you are planning on staying longer, then it's a visa that you will need.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

ESTA is the visa waiver program.

Apply for ESTA online and on the actual US government website and not the misleading websites which will charge you extra.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Official website below, lots of fake websites out there that will charge a lot of money to do it for you. I did it a few weeks ago, the fee is $21. Don't pay more than that.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,057 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

No. Technically it is 90 days at a time. You cannot reset the time by going to a few countries (Mexico or Canada at least) but you can (in theory) by going to other countries.

However, the VWP works both ways. You also waive your right to any appeal. It is 100% at the discretion of the CBP officer. If you are there for 89 days, head to the Bahamas for a few days and straight back, there is a good chance that they will form the opinion that you are trying to be more than just a short term visitor and deny entry.

A "rule of thumb" (not an exact equation) would be that you would want to be out of the US for as long as your last visit there. So if you stay 2 months, it might be dodgier if you go back within another 2 months. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Thanks all.

Filling out ESTA now and on step 4 of 7, it asks "Is your travel to the US occurring in transit to another country?". I am selecting No. As the plan is to fly to NY and back home again.

Then it asks me for US Point of Contact information, do I just fill in my own details?

I have no accomodation booked yet so not fully clear on what to do here.

Any advice?

Thanks

• Advertisement

I put down the hotel that I thought I would be staying in as I believe it said that you could put that down.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Thanks, I actually left it all as Unknown.

Paid for ESTA there, it did say "Your travel authorization is under review because an immediate determination could not be made. This response does not indicate negative findings. A determination will be available within 72 hours".

Is that normal?

I got the exact same message when I applied for mine and within 24 hours I got an email asking me to log in to check the status, which in my case was approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,057 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Usually means you are on a watch list for Al Quaida.

Only messing of course. I think that's a standard thing. I think the last time I got one (pre covid mind) it said something similar but was back in an hour or two

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ma88

Hi all,

Ive got denied 214(b) US visa recently!

Have 3 citizenships at the moment, got my 1st Irish passport 5 yrs ago!

Been denied another US visa 15 yrs ago with my native passport while i was a student & applied for work & travel to USA!

Now all my family 2 kids & the wife-all Irish passports been Esta authorised, not myself - think i may be in the system as denied b4!

Now, was planning a little holiday to usa in the summer when kids are out of school for about 2 weeks, haven't booked nothing yet, did try 1st to see why/if ill get a go ahead to us b4 booking flights & hotel, but didn't happen!

So the 1st question at the interview was if i had an idea why my esta been rejected? Told them that i have not been given a work & travel us visa 15 yrs ago may be the reason for it!

Then where/if i had any family in us? Have a cousin in Boston - even though not planning to go to them or if family means goes that far to cousins...

Asked the reason for travel - summer holiday, what im doing here - self employed...., did asked me to have a seat & wait to be called!

Waited about 2hrs, heard my name, got there, been asked if i have ever been rejected any schengen visas?! I've never applied/needed 1 in any of my other passports - all expired except Irish 1, been to Iceland recently for a week all 4 of us all good, so why would u need a schenghen visa if my passport allows me to travel EU/schengen area without a visa....

Been asked if i didn't really plan nothing at all of my trip to US? No as still time till summer holiday - July if so, what the wife's doing - works in ...for so long!

Sorry, this time u haven't been given a visa under section 214(b)...

Now looking to apply again, but not sure how soon should i go again if so, and looking to book the return flights & hotel to show them solid proof that i don't intend to stay over there, but not sure if it happens to get denied again i may loose the flights as they are quite expensive, the hotel is refundable if cancel within a certain time!

Was looking for New York, to show the kids & ourself aswell statue of liberty, empire state, or Chicago-home alone house, trump Tower, Orlando disney - any of them places, but all depends on prices & availability as the Mr's job doesn't really get the time off as she wants, so may be quite challenging here!

Sorry for the long post, just a bit of a light im looking for here!

Thank you.

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Ive got denied 214(b) US visa recently!

Have 3 citizenships at the moment, got my 1st Irish passport 5 yrs ago!

Been denied another US visa 15 yrs ago with my native passport while i was a student & applied for work & travel to USA!

Now all my family 2 kids & the wife-all Irish passports been Esta authorised, not myself - think i may be in the system as denied b4!

Now, was planning a little holiday to usa in the summer when kids are out of school for about 2 weeks, haven't booked nothing yet, did try 1st to see why/if ill get a go ahead to us b4 booking flights & hotel, but didn't happen!

So the 1st question at the interview was if i had an idea why my esta been rejected? Told them that i have not been given a work & travel us visa 15 yrs ago may be the reason for it!

Then where/if i had any family in us? Have a cousin in Boston - even though not planning to go to them or if family means goes that far to cousins...

Asked the reason for travel - summer holiday, what im doing here - self employed...., did asked me to have a seat & wait to be called!

Waited about 2hrs, heard my name, got there, been asked if i have ever been rejected any schengen visas?! I've never applied/needed 1 in any of my other passports - all expired except Irish 1, been to Iceland recently for a week all 4 of us all good, so why would u need a schenghen visa if my passport allows me to travel EU/schengen area without a visa....

Been asked if i didn't really plan nothing at all of my trip to US? No as still time till summer holiday - July if so, what the wife's doing - works in ...for so long!

Sorry, this time u haven't been given a visa under section 214(b)...

Have told them all as it is - have nothing to hide for!

Been approved for Canada, Australia, New Zealand no prob!

Now looking to apply again, but not sure how soon should i go again if so, and looking to book the return flights & hotel to show them solid proof that i don't intend to stay over there, but not sure if it happens to get denied again i may loose the flights as they are quite expensive, the hotel is refundable if cancel within a certain time!

Was looking for New York, to show the kids & ourself aswell statue of liberty, empire state, or Chicago-home alone house, trump Tower, Orlando disney - any of them places, but all depends on prices & availability as the Mr's job doesn't really get the time off as she wants, so may be quite challenging here!

Sorry for the long post, just a bit of a light im looking for here!

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Likely being self-employed, not having concrete plans and having family combined to give a red flag. They basically just want to make sure you will leave the US at the end of your stay and the best way to do that is to show strong ties to your home country and to have definite plans while in US. Strong ties would include owning a house in Ireland, employment or having family in Ireland. For definite plans, it doesn't mean you need to have hotels/flights booked but at least have an itinerary written down. Self-employment is not seen as a strong tie unless you can show that you have a project/engagement that will start after you arrive back in Ireland or strong reoccuring business.

As for how long to wait, there's no real good guidance but I think waiting at least a month would be prudent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

@ma88

Just guessing, but perhaps having 3 citizenships may be a cautionary flag for them? Dual citizenships are frequent enough to not cause concern. You might ask the US embassy in Dublin if this may be a factor directly for them?

Yeah, thank you, was thinking the same, but there's no one @ the embassy or at least i didn't find where/who i can get some info from!

Did write an email found on their web page, and all i've got back from them was - ''we are not authorized to provide advice or suggestions regarding your visa process. Although we cannot provide you with any advice to assist you with your visa process you may find visa information on our website''.

My wife has 3 citizenships-same as myself (and she was born in Russia-but haven't got a Russian passport-that could be her 4th citizenship), but she got ESTA approval straight away together with the 2 kids-both Irish only, when applied online as a group for all 4 of us! Think i may have been in their system from 15 years ago when i applied for work & travel with my 1st native passport - a NON EU 1!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

On the flip side. How about the Irish embassy in Washington DC?

Good point, haven't thought about, will check them out & try to contact to see if any assistance, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

All they will do is point to the information that the US has provided. They don't have any influence over the ESTA approval process (nor should they).

The only options at this point are to apply for a visa at the embassy or abandon the idea of visiting US and pick a different country. A consultation with a US immigration attorney may be an idea as well.

Just a quick update, went again for interview after a year - Refused again, not surprised lol...

Got ready a invitation letter from the friends where i was supposed to go/stay in, a bill of theirs, how my circumstances have changed in the meantime, moved to a bigger house just now before Christmas, a set plan to where, how long and when im going in & out of US - NONE been asked or even looked at!!!

Guess what? Got to the same guy who denied me 1st time where he says:

I've interviewed you last time, just wait there a little and my colleague here will have a check on you...

Went to next 1:

What's the purpose of travelling to US? Visiting some friend in June for 2 weeks. Ok he said.

What are you working here? Im doing .... for the past 6-7 years!

Can see u have an Irish passport, for how long are u living in Ireland? Im living in Ireland for 15 years now!

Are you going to visit friends are you? Yes Sir, i said!

Sorry, can't give u a visa this time, here's your passport and 214b again...

Can you please give me a reason why im just being refused again, i asked?

Plenty of reasons he said, but todays decision cannot be amended, have a good day he said!!!

Ok goodbye.

Emailed Embassy of Ireland in Washington : Queries about US visas/ESTA should be directed to the US Embassy in Dublin, the authority that administers US visas/ESTA on behalf of residents of Ireland. The Embassy of Ireland to the US provides assistance on visas to enter Ireland; we are not authorized to advise on visas for another country.

That's it, F*** them, time to move on and get away from visiting US!

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

Standard reply from the Irish Embassy.That applies to all Irish Embassies.They don't like to get involved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement