Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alexa compatible motion sensors w/no hub required

Options
  • 25-10-2022 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering has anyone come across a motion sensor that will work with Alexa and without requiring a hub and that is also reasonable in price. Amazon have one called Switchbot but they are £30 a piece and Id need 6 of them. There is also another one there called Knightbridge for £15 which isnt too bad, has anyone tried it? Or even a budget option from Aliexpress?

Also in general can these motion sensors with no hub switch a light on almost instantaneously? Kind of feel if there is even a 1-1.5 second delay between motion and the light actually coming on the effect is lost and it would get annoying pretty fast. Would be good to hear real life experiences of them before purchasing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

just bumping in case anyone has an answer, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Tech_Head

I don’t have experience of using motion sensors with Alexa but Matter is due to roll out before the end of the year and promises to remove the need for a lot of the main hubs.

That way you could stick with Hue or similar and not need the Hue bridge.

ok I hadnt heard of Matter but just read an article on it and seems like we might be getting a giant leap forward for compatibility between various protocols. Hopefully that will spur more products and options.

Seems unusual that there isnt any budget options for motion sensors without a bridge. Maybe its the case that they dont work very well without one or something

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

There's a Shelly one, but I don't know what counts as cheap.

thanks, had a look but they are almost 50 euro each and Id need 6 of them so out of budget. Was hoping to find a version that dont require a hub for about 15-20 euro a piece but it doesnt seem to exist from what I can see, have looked in a lot of places but cant find one

• Advertisement
Advertisement