Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your favourite takeaway?

Options
  • 25-10-2022 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Due to the shift nature of my work and that of my wife, who drives a bus we normally only have one occasion every two weeks where our shift coalesce to an extent where we have an evening free together and the following day off.

During that time we get a take away to treat ourselves and have some beverages at home too.

We rotate between Chinese, Indian and chipper. We can never decide which is better, but I’m leaning between Chinese and chipper.

I love a good dumpling soup and a Singapore noodles from the Chinese.

From the chipper I love a good battered cod or battered sausage and chips. All have to be swimming in vinegar and LACED with salt.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Chipper just sneaks it.

local one their ‘butchers burger’ is amazing and some. Chips excellent… generally I’m ordering butchers burger ( thick and tender half pounder with ALL the trimmings ) and curry chips.

Local Asian is excellent, the varied menu and quality and attention to detail is superb. Generous portions… Really tasty fare…. Never fails to impress… everything tender, tasty and fresh..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Northern Bank

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Chinese, for me.

You get vegetables, rice, nice flavours and not too oily. More varied options too, like hot and sour soup, tofu, broccoli...

Chipper food, I find way too greasy, very little vegetables (even the peas are bad in most chippers here) and it upsets my tummy :/

Dublin @Strumms?

Cork city has very poor takeaway options :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Gimme a shot.

It was a photo finish for me between Chinese and chipper. Each have their ups and downs. I love greasy fatty and salty food.

• Advertisement

Get yourself some MSG from the Chinese stores; mix 60:40 with salt for a delicious sprinkle on all of your fried goods at home...

EDIT: Get some Chinese five spice powder: mix that with the MSG and salt. That's what makes my local Chinese takeaway's onion rings so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

God I'd love a takeaway now 🤤 I love proper chippers (Italian), supermacs and Chinese (prawn toast, prawn crackers, crispy shredded chicken with satay, chips, and a can of coke)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A nice Snack Box with the chicken on the bone and plenty of S&V.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Thai food, either a nice thai curry or a stir fry and some spring rolls!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

A vote for Indian here. Wife likes a chicken biryani, and I can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

The lure of your classic donner kebab is eternal.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Gimme a shot.

I forgot that one! Lots of doner meat, tahini sauce, veg, salad …. Coke 🤤

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Sweet and sour pork with egg fried rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Indian or Thai for us now. Just find Chinese so greasy these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Indian by far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭SourSessions

Good Chinese is amazing but all the local stuff here is crap. Love a nice satay though with gyoza and half fried rice/half noodles for takeaway. M&L on Cathedral St is fantastic and has more authentic stuff if you're into it. Even their green beans are amazing. Hard to go back to rural Chinese takeaway after having that.

Indian is the best option here but a well-timed chipper can be a thing of beauty...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There's a lot of fake colours in the Indian stuff. I don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭tjhook

Kinda surprised nobody has said pizza yet.

I'm not sure it's my favourite, but a proper pizza (i.e. from an Italian restaurant that does delivery, rather than one of the big chains) can be a thing of beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I think pizza is totally overrated. I'd prefer a fresh cod and curry chips from a decent Italian chipper any day over a pizza. I like a good quality kebab or Indian also. I used to like a chicken curry with rice and beansprouts from the Chinese but sadly the quality from my local Chinese takeaways has dipped horribly in the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Pizza for me, even if it is pricey, but It's not like I order it every day of the week. Once in a while, I do like to indulge myself though.

Other than that I'm open to Chinese or ordering from a Chipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I kept hearing about those green beans on the Cathedral St place so I went out of way to it and tried them. Unbelievably great.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Snack box from 4 Lights

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ Cup

Does ramen count? I love that stuff, especially on a cold wintery evening. Bonus, eating at home is you can actually shove your face in the bowl whenever you fancy.

Otherwise, salty, vinegary chips with two equally salty and vinegary sausages from the chipper would do me just fine.

Advertisement