Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenovo Laptop Crashing

Options
  • 25-10-2022 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

So my father is operating a Lenovo laptop that crashes sporadically. The frequency varies but he says it happens when there's a lot going on eg. lots of chrome tabs, excel spreadsheets, etc. I'm guessing he's running into a RAM limitation as he's equiped with 8gb of memory (along with a 4300u I think) but it seems very unusual that it would crash simply because of a RAM limitation. Has never happened with me on my own computers so any advice on how to fix the problem (aside from upgrading the RAM) would be much apppreciated.

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Machines won't crash due to a RAM limitation

They will, however, crash if the RAM is faulty at a high location that only gets hit when under load.

There's a memory diagnostic in recent versions of Windows, I'd suggest running that - or else look at memtest86+ from a USB key.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭kippy

When you say 'crash' what exactly do you mean? What shows up on screen, what behaviour is exhibited?

Is there any chance the machine is overheating? Could be a cause depending on the behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Had a chat with him there about it and he said it tends to become unbearably slow or just freeze up completely forcing him to restart. I think the best solution going forward will probably be to just up the RAM as he's always going to be pushing 8GB to the limit with his spreadsheets and chrome

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

before spending any money, you want to run hardware diagnostics. Also i would absolutely not spend money on a laptop that i judge has reached end of life. so the key point here has to be, is the laptop is worth upgrading?

To launch the diagnostics, press F10 during the boot sequence to launch Lenovo diagnostics. Additionally, press F12 during the boot sequence to access the Boot Menu. Then press Tab to select Application Menu and arrow down to Lenovo Diagnostics and select it by pressing Enter

if you pass the hardware tests, then adding ram and changing the hard drive to an SSD (assuming you have a mechanical drive) would be the steps to provide best bang for buck. you will need to help him change the hard drive and clone or reinstall OS & software - its more time consuming than popping in a stick of ram!

• Advertisement

He's running an SSD alright so that simplifies things greatly. Thanks

Advertisement