If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

What's the stuff between blocks?

  • 24-10-2022 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

    What term do we use in Ireland for the grey stuff that's used atop each brick and block when building a wall? Does it have stones in it typically? And do we use the term mortar in Ireland? Or is another term more common?


  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 45,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭muffler

    Mortar ... and no stones.

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

    As muffler said mortar, from cement. But if it is an older building or a period restoration, often it is lime mortar.

  • Registered Users Posts: 38,450 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

    As above. The material is always called mortar. Lay people often incorrectly call it cement.

    Although there’s other words you might use to describe the area, rather that the material specifically.

    Curious why you’re asking.