Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA TV Rights 2023 on - Sky out, Saturday league games to RTE/TG4, Some C’ship games on GAA Go

Options
  • 24-10-2022 7:43pm
    Administrators Posts: 354 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

This discussion was created from comments split from: BT Sport/Premier Sports.
    Post edited by icdg on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭roadmaster

GAA and Sky have gone there seperate ways. Could we see the new BT/Eurosport channel bid for next yeara rights?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Hopefully not. I would prefer if TG4 or Virgin Media had them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I doubt it to be honest, it’ll be interesting to see what happens there but the moving of the GAA season earlier in the year (so that it now clashes with the business end of the football season) probably did it in for Sky more than anything else. The value of GAA for them was retaining Irish subs though the summer and the GAA made it not worth their while.

Most likely they will go to VMTV or TG4.

BBC NI are getting more games so at least we will get that.

I would imagine GAA will want to keep matches shown on Uk/International tv so we might even see a streaming service pick up some games.

It appears Sky wanted league games as well

Premier Sports already show games in the UK and have done long before Sky had rights.

• Advertisement

I wonder if that will continue under Viaplay though, you could imagine the bosses in Stockholm wondering what this GAA business is and why they should be spending money on it. O’Rourke and Ryan knew the GAA and built their company on showing the Sunday Game in the U.K. but Premier were forced to block their GAA coverage on the Premier Player because it was deemed to compete with GAA GO. It maybe a case of “thank you for your service, we’ll take it from here now”.

• Administrators Posts: 354 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭System

This discussion was created from comments split from: BT Sport/Premier Sports.

Could the GAA leave the FTA package as it is and instead of Skys package and Premiers league package being sold put it on a bigger GAAGo package and keep the advertising and payments for themselfs.

Would they make more money that way or would a broadcaster always work out better?

I don’t think it could be the same package to be honest. Maybe they will have a bigger role for GAA GO: but I think while a camera and a commentator might do the job for a league game in February I think a provincial final or quarter final game would demand a fully produced presentation with pre and post game analysis. Maybe my expectations are too high on that front perhaps.

Surprised that league games were a factor tbh. There’s a gap to fill eir Sport’s shoes, RTE has picked up some of the gap but they are not showing as many games as eir did.

The league would be ideal for virgin with all there channels they could show two games at the same time the way Eir use to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭thomasking22008

And would be interested see dazn plan to bid Gaa broadcasting?

I hope not. To be fair they have their niche as the new BoxNation and have been mostly sticking to it. I doubt it even interests them. The GAA would probably mention Amazon, but everyone does. I personally would be surprised if it goes outside the existing players and VMTV, but there are now two gaps to be filled (Sky and eir).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I doubt VMTV will come in for them but you never know. The sky rights would be in the region of 3m to 5 million per year if I recall from the last rights auction(although never officially announced any monetary term and am open to correction)

That leaves GAAGO with having to get an awful lot of subscriptions to just break even. GAA HQ are probably not ready to risk giving a pay tv provider more rights than what they have hence sky walking away.

Looks Like GAAGo is going to be expanded. If the package was good enoght i could see it being a big Christmass present seller

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/gaa/sky-sports-and-gaa-part-ways-as-bbc-prepares-for-gb-expansion-42092335.html

I think the league games for Sky thing is an excuse tbh, and the GAA had no problem with Setanta/eir having pay-TV rights for up to three games for over a decade (appreciate that for a lot of that period Setanta Ireland was a basic cable channel).

Incidentally with it now clear that Premier Sports in Ireland is going its separate ways from the U.K. operation I wonder if they might get the old Saturday league rights that Setanta and eir once had. Mind you the Independent version of that article (which is slightly different from their Bel Tel stablemate) is saying those rights “could” go to TG4. They are also ruling out VMTV.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/bbc-set-to-step-in-as-sky-and-gaa-part-ways-over-new-tv-rights-deal-42092422.html

Statement from the GAA re the 2023-2027 rights:

Statement from RTE:

And the BBC:

The BBC seem to be putting a fair bit on the iPlayer. 10 matches of the Allianz Leagues for instance. Will these be restricted to NI & UK only I wonder? Currently you can watch GAA & NI soccer league highlights clips on the BBC Sports NI website.

OK, so to break things down:

RTE: Retains the rights to 31 Championship matches, gains some Saturday league games (shared with TG4) and club games.

BBC: Retains the rights to 8 Ulster SFC games, gains the All-Ireland semi finals and finals in both codes, to be shown in NI on BBC Two and nationally on iPlayer, one of the finals to be shown nationally on a linear BBC channel. Also 10 Allianz League games on iPlayer. (And will they be geoblocked? Undoubtably).

TG4: Retains all of its current rights and gains a share of Saturday night League games.

So basically the old eir Sport league package is divided between RTE and TG4 and the Sky games, it seems, go mostly to GAAGO. So the irony for those lambasting Sky Sports as “pay per view” (it’s not); well now we are going to have GAA championship games actually on a pay per view service. If it’s the same package Sky had that may include quarter final games.

Oh and poor show Premier Sports. Their first acquisition after the sale of the U.K. operation and the best they get is what very much looks like the return of “eir Sport Classic”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Streaming is crap to watch hurling on. Ok for football.

I neglected to mention we get The Saturday Game highlights show, which I suppose is a trade off for losing Saturday night live Championship games I guess.

I wonder why Virgin did not even through there hat in the Game for the league games.

Is it because they sre trying to sell or dont have the budget?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭RoTelly

You can take a subscription to GAA GO (you can take out weekly subs for Sky Sports on NOW TV), but I think we should look at the fact that is a much better deal just by having one of the finals on FTA TV in Britain.

Sky's coverage outside of their rights to GAA was abysmal.

IMO RTÉ should be aiming to merge GAA GO and its URC TV service, indeed it should have been something to aim for with LOI TV also. All of which should aim to be available on Sky, VMTV and NOW as streaming apps.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

They can’t really though, because neither the GAA or URC want to. RTE is a 50% shareholder for GAAGO but what their revenue share, if any, of URC TV is not public. Either way it would need to own both outright to merge them.

This article is very good by the way. Somewhat appropriately, it’s behind the Irish Times paywall, but may be of interest to those with access. Lays bare the hypocrisy when it comes to RTE’s part. The Sky paywall was a bad deal for consumers (remember they even devoted an episode of Prime Time to how terrible it was?!?!) but the GAAGO paywall is a brave new step forward for the Association. The difference? RTE gets a 50% cut of the latter.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2022/10/27/ciaran-murphy-hard-to-see-new-gaa-media-deal-being-a-good-one-for-the-consumer/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭RoTelly

GAA, URC and LOI are mad not to want to provide their games on one platform, with one pay for plan available to ex-pats and the world.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

GAAGo fixture list, early bird deal for €59 before new years eve.

https://www.gaa.ie/news/gaago-ie-to-stream-38-exclusive-gaa-championship-matches-in-2023/

If you can download the app on to a smart tv i will defo buy it as it is very good value and the studio team are not to bad.

From what I can make there’s no native smart TV app - not Fire TV either - though Chromecast and Airplay are supported. Android TV people who are tech savvy might get the Android app working.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I can't see this working well.

A big part of these online platforms working is at most 2 or 3 clicks before you bring up a live stream.

I had Now tv working on my LG tv. It no longer works after support was removed for older tvs. Mine is only 5 years or so old. It worked well, accessed easily from one device, my tv remote.

Now I have to have my phone at hand to use chromecast, then change the hdmi source and then have a stream that is 20 secs or slower than my phone or the LG tv app. Anyone else in the house also needs a phone to access it.

Just not going to bring in an audience.

If GAA GO was put on the rte player and allowed one to subscribe that way it would be much better, but rte are well behind the times.

There seams to he mixed information on the gaa go website. Its says streaming via chromecast to TV but then in a different part of the website it says a Totally New App for devices and TV.

Is there any chance they have an app coming for tvs?

If there isn't a TV app then I won't be bothering with it so it would be nice if they could announce that before New Years Eve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I'd be shocked if they put in the resources to have a dedicated app created for TVs. Lot of time/resources needed to go into that. Most major leagues in the world don't have one, so I can't see GAA Go being an anomaly in that sense

Advertisement