Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norton 360 error

Options
  • 22-10-2022 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

A Registry Editor window popped up out of nowhere with a message saying the following " Cannot export C:\ProgramData\NortonInstaller\SymTemp\Registry0.txt: Error writing the file. There maybe a disk or file system error. " Another message said to reinstall Norton to solve this problem When I uninstalled Norton and reinstalled it. It says my product key is not valid I tried twice and it wont work How the fecking hell has this happened ??? I just paid 74.99 on my credit card bill to renew my subscription

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Contact Norton, only they can advise on why the code isn't working.

Or, better, if you can afford to - write off the 'investment' and get another product. Norton is absolutely terrible; slows down your machine to provide minimal protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭STEE

What is better than Norton 360 ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Anything. Every product by every antivirus vendor is better. Norton is the absolute bottom of the barrel. There is a reason it lives off bundle sales in shops that also push warranties

Invasive scanning using antiquated techniques, and generally being an awful heap of crap

I'd recommend Eset for something much cheaper and lighter

What is McAfee like ?

• Advertisement

Almost as bad. Almost.

Will I be ok with Windows Defender for the time being ? Will that be ok for buying stuff online ?

Its probably better than Norton, realistically. I haven't used any AV beyond the Windows integrated products on my personal PCs since they first released it as an addon for XP.

I went on Eset's website and there's three options, First one is ESET Smart Security Premium, Second is ESET Internet Security, Third is ESET NOD32 Antivirus. If you haven't used an AV since windows first released the addon for XP then what Eset pack should I buy ? If windows defender is good do I really need an AV ?

I found an AV on Currys/PC world called NORTON 360 for Gamers. Says this about it " Ward off attacks both in-game and out. Norton 360 for Gamers will protect 3 devices with an all-in-one security solution. It's compatible with PC, Mac, Android and iOS so you can make sure everything from your battle station's desktop to your personal iPhone is fully secured. Use the game optimizer to direct more power to your gameplay, making it smoother and improving performance.

Good to know

- Norton 360 for Gamers comes fully equipped with antivirus, ransomware and hacking protection

- The full-screen detection means that you'll only get needless alerts while you're gaming

Real-time threat protection makes sure that your software is up to date to fight against any new online threats

- Use the secure VPN for an added layer of privacy when browsing the web

Dark web monitoring will let you know if your personal info or gamer tags can be found anywhere on the dark web

- The password manager will generate, store and manage your personal info including passwords and credit card details

- Help your kids become responsible gamers by using the parental controls to limit their screen time and access to potentially harmful websites

50 GB of cloud storage is included so you can store all your important documents safely online " Is this a gimmic or is it any use ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Thanks for advertisement, like there is not enough of that crap anyway, but "no thanks" to norton or any variants of it. Using ESET for last 6+ years, if not it then better build-in defender...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

+1 on Norton being utter bloatware garbage ... McAfee is up there too ... I've a number of business clients happily using ESET NOD32 for a number of years, but for home use, Defender is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Not necessary my view...

But its already there and eating resources, at least its free*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭AyeGer

McAfee is a real pain in the aras. Im getting regular popups from them. I have windows 11 on my laptop. Is there a better free option or do i need to have any?

Advertisement