Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAT on UK Imports

Options
  • 22-10-2022 7:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I cant seem to find a clear answer on this one. I am looking to buy a mobile home from a dealer in the UK. The price is 20,000 GBP including VAT.

I need to pay for shipping from Holyhead to Dublin. The dealer will bring the mobile to Holyhead.

What VAT do I pay on arrival? I understand 23% on price of the unit and cost of transport. How and when must that be paid?

Given I have paid VAT already in the UK, how can I claim that UK back? or can I at all?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭techdiver

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a similar question. Looking to order furniture from the UK. I'm trying to find a definitive calculator to see how much this is going to cost me. The revenue website is worse than useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

The UK exporter should be selling the item with zero UK VAT. VAT will then be chargeable in Ireland at the point of entry.

Depending on the goods there will also be a rate of import duty on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

thanks for that @Lenar3556 . To allow the UK retailer to sell the item at zero UK VAT, must that retailer or I as a regular Irish consumer, meet any tax requirements/ conditions?

Advertisement