Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

virgin hub2, UDM, duckdns problem

• 20-10-2022 11:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭

i have the virgin 1gb line with hub2.0 (black modem)

i couldn't figure out how to turn this into bridge mode.

so i just disabled wifi 2ghz and 5ghz. I hope that is bridge mode.

this is connected to Unifi dream machine (not pro) via ethernet

i have added dynamic dns in the settings and configured duckdns details into it.

but i am unable to access the duckdns.

i need this for home assistant.

any help please if i got any settings wrong?

do i need to do port forwarding too?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Glaceon

When you log into the Virgin router's interface you should see a Modem Mode option on the left, enable this to bridge. If this option isn't available, your account is set up for IPv6/DS-Lite which doesn't allow it. You'd need to contact Virgin to be put back on IPv4 in order to bridge. DS-Lite also prevents you from having your own dedicated IPv4 address so would prevent any kind of dynamic DNS from working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

will contact them in the morning thank you

i contacted customer care today and i was told the new black modem hub 2 does not allow bridge mode or allow port forwarding. this is the limitation with the modem.

is that true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Nonsense, mine is bridged and working fine. They just need to disable IPv6 on your account.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,504 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

They lied to you.

This post was sent over my bridged black Hub v2 modem.

• Advertisement

will try again tomorrow. wasted 45 minutes waiting to get hold of a person on phone

finally got someone who agreed this can be enabled.

so now i have the option for modem mode and router mode.

i also requested disabling ipv6 so that i can get back port forwarding.

so thats all done.

i am trying to port forward for my home assistant duckdns.org

my setup is virgin connected to udm router. my raspberry pi is connected to udm.

udm is on 192.168.1.1 where as virgin is on 192.168.0.1

my pi is 192.168.1.102.

how do i set port forwarding and where?

i did port forwarding on udm router but it doesn't work.

on virgin how do i do it?

the local address option AVAILABLE is only in the 192.168.0.x range

any tips please?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,504 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Is the Hub in modem mode or router mode currently? Once it's in modem mode, it'll still have the interface on 192.168.100.1, but it won't show any port forwarding options. The UDM router should have a public IP, and it'll be doing any port forwarding.

hub is still on router mode.

moved to modem only mode and rebooted virgin

• Advertisement

Once that's rebooted, you may need to reboot the UDM router or restart it's WAN interface to get a public IP via DHCP through the modem.

thank you..home assistant via duckdns working now

Now that DS-lite is off, and you have a public IPv4 address, this will stay on your account after any modem changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Star10

Hi, sorry to jump onto this thread.. I know it’s a few months old but I’m now trying to do the same thing as I have Hub 2 and have bought a TP Link router. What did you ask them to do exactly as I don’t want to ring and waste 45 mins without the info. Any help would be appreciated please 🙏

Unfortunately the proper answer may not be the most effective on a script fixated first line support agent. Depending on who you get, you may just need to be very patient and explain slowly.

What you need is to have DS-lite disabled and moved on to a full public IPv4 address.

Thanks for the reply. If I disable WIFI on the VM router would this not have the same effect?

No, it's completely unrelated. Turning off wifi still doesn't disable NAT'ing, DHCP client requests and routing functions on the Hub.

Ok, I’ll get onto them on Monday so. Thanks for the info 👍

Only got around to it recently. Very straightforward. All working fine, thanks 👍️

• Advertisement
Advertisement