Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In-home energy monitor / display units

Options
  • 20-10-2022 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

Having spent some time in the UK I see that most homes over there have an in-home energy monitor or display unit.

They're really handy as it shows you how much energy you're consuming and also how much you're paying and it increases in real time so you can gauge your usage and expenditure.

I have a smart meter installed here and just wondering what electric companies in Ireland, if any, offer these home meters?

Or whereabouts can I get one? I see lots for sale on eBay but unsure if they would work over here with an Irish smart meter.

Any info would be much appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I have an owl energy monitor I got it on eBay, no extra charges etc. I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Morby

Fantastic, this is exactly what I wanted to hear! Mind me asking if it was tricky to set up?

Do you plug a sensor into your smart meter and this then wirelessly relays the info to your in home monitor or how does it work exactly?

Can you program it when the price per unit so it will show you how much you're spending per day etc..?

Thanks again!

It's completely independent of your smart meter. It comes with a clamp that clamps around the brown wire going from the main fuse or meter into the house, the meter itself connects wirelessly to this clamp. Yes you can program in what your unit rates are for different times etc. I wanted one for years but I didn't have enough brown cable exposed to put a clamp around as the meter and mains fuse were too close together. When I got a smart meter installed I knew the installer and asked him to make a bit more cable available which he did.

Two pics, one of the clamp and transmitter and one of the meter itself. Car is charging and washing machine is heating... It can be depressing sometimes 😵‍💫

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Morby

Hey thanks, that's really helpful!

Very interesting. Right, now I'm going off to do some research. This sounds like just the job though. 👍

• Advertisement
Advertisement