Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop to Desktop (Budget 600-800)

Options
  • 19-10-2022 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

Hi everyone

I currently have a "gaming" HP Omen 15 laptop (i5-8300, GTX 1060 3Gb) and would like to switch to a similar gaming desktop.

Now, budget is a bit tight and I was looking for something silent (the fans on the HP Omen while throttling only when browsing drive me nuts; and that's the main reason I would like to switch to a desktop).

Requirements: Similar specs, silent, has to be "lightweight"; as in the chassis/case has to be not that heavy when transporting (I was thinking around 6/10 Kg would be ideal). I already have a monitor.

So Any suggestion on where or which parts or build a pre-made rig (Lenovo, Acer, etc) will be greatly appreciated as I'm a bit lost on where to look for the better prices.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭cornholio509

b4 i answer you . What do you use the computer for ?

€500 wont get you anything with a Nvidia GPU in it . JUst saying . You will be stuck with an integrated GPU . SO if your gaming well you will need to up that budget by a fair amount . TO get performance similar to the gtx 1050 your on about 800 euro or ther abouts . For either a prebuilt or a pc you build yorself . Check for deals and sales .

Post edited by cornholio509 on

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭chonix

I guess you're right. I might up the budget or see what the alternatives are. Might sell the laptop first and then get that budget up asap.

Intergrated video sucks; I don't game much, but when I do I like playing some Death Stranding, Sims 4, FIFA, etc. So, the crippled 1060 with 3gb VRAM Gives me that... I don't aim for super performance but I think then; build it myself would do the trick I think too....

Any suggestion on components with the most budgety GPU?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭cornholio509

It all depends . Its really hard to say what you can get .Again how much can you spend is an issue . Jump onto PC parts picker and mess around with builds . get an idea of how much things will cost . Make sure you select germany or UK as i think its US by default . The option is on the top right of the page ,

WHats your preference intel or AMD or does it matter ?

Your case size is going to matter . IT will dictate what motherboards sizes you can use . and maybe even powersupply . So do some research .

16 GB ddr4 ram on amazon and nearly everywhere else is about €100 , 1tb nvme or ssd is €100 . GTX 1660 6gb is in around €300 .

Advertisement