Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen Scullion launches a 4 weeks class

Options
  • 18-10-2022 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Stephen Scullion launches a 4 weeks class: see https://roadtotheolympics.co.uk/

I have no real idea what it's gonna be like or how much it will cost: I am not associated with Stephen. But with the recent thread on coaching, I thought this is perhaps an interesting different approach. And yes, I do find following Stephen frustrating (to be fair, he is probably frustrated with himself at times), but his recent ADHD diagnosis is progress.

His podcast https://www.buzzsprout.com/239467

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Looks interesting alright. If it was reasonably priced it would be interesting. It’s not a bespoke training package though just a look at what he does and the rationale behind that, it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

I was coached by Stephen for 2 years, really enjoyed working with him and learned a lot. Will be interested to see how the new venture develops.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

75 Sterling; enrolled.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,980 ✭✭✭✭event

Im trying to make head or tail of this.

its £75 for..........what? Do you just get a load of generic videos and PDFs?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well a friend of mine was charged €56 for three orders of fish and chips the other day. Seems reasonable enough at today's prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Yeah if someone tells me I'll let you know

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bgiraffe

He explained it all in his latest podcasts earlier this week. He's releasing themed videos over the next few weeks - recovery, nutrition etc - ending with running specifics. Beyond that, all the material he has produced will be available through his website whenever you want to access it, if you've subscribed.

It would seem like generic content alright though there are surely plenty of nuggets in there that would help people of any level. If there is as much content available as he says, then you'll probably be able to pull out the stuff that's specific to you. I'll give it a whirl anyway, 75 notes is one physio session as he says himself. I've had enough of them lately!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Wondering what you'll get for that £75 that you wouldn't get from say the Sage Running YouTube channel.

Would represent value imo if it was an hour one on one. Doesn't seem to represent value as it stands.

Ah I dont listen to his podcast. Sounds interesting. After DCM Ill rest for a bit but when set my next target, might give it a go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Wottle

I can't listen to his podcast, I've tried. By all accounts he seems a really good guy but he can be very negative at times and a little bit all over the place.

I can remember one time he talked about the Japanese approach to high mileage and that they achieve this by running their easy runs at a pedestrian pace, maybe 9 minute miling, can't quite remember. He was determined to do the same, he did it for the week and I feel that's just his makeup, impatient and jumping from philosophy to philosophy.

I understand he has a diagnosis now of ADHD and is taking stuff to help, so hopefully we see him reach his potential, no doubting his talent.

All fair posts.

The material to be released will focus on "the 22 hours a day" when you are not running...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭py

This is the reason I stopped listening. It felt like there was constant flip flopping on what he believed in from a training pov, some of which went against common sense. I am happy to hear he's made progress on the mental side of things. Fingers crossed he can get some consistent training in order to get back to his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I agree with what you said and I still listen to it, but it can frustrating. Deciding to do Berlin after Commonwealth was a repeat of Rotherdam and Cheshire. His mistakes are very obvious but hopefully ADHD medication will help him.

He needs to look back at his time with Haas and the training for London, maybe also Rotherdam( could of went well if not for the shoes). He needs a coach and he needs to go to a training camp away from everything, but his ability to explode is the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

The thing that intrigues me about Scullion is that he is an Elite athlete (2.09 marathoner) who acts very haphazardly.

He does some of the things that you & I do (including flip flopping, changing plan, trying different things) and a LOT of stuff that we would never do regarding training e.g. Take sessions in isolation from people on Strava.

I'm amazed that he has been relatively successful with such a haphazard approach.

However - the main thing that we have to internalise with him, is that he is putting himself out there, warts and all on social media and podcasts. He tells us most things and as a result, we have an opinion.

But he doesn't have to tell us everything - but he does.

I'm hoping his recent discovery and treatments help him stay the course and get back to his best. He's a hard worker and a good guy, deserves to get back to 2.09 or better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭py

He was on Bad Boy Running discussing his podcast and new 4 week class: https://open.spotify.com/episode/3biwA2ShgPWg221dws4GRL?si=b2e368618df346d1

His latest course material on psychology, while probably too self-centred (as he recognises himself), is pretty heart-wrenching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I've probably listened to every episode of his podcast at this stage and there are certainly recurring themes. Maybe a lot of them are indeed covered by the ADHD side of things, But there's always something going on! His constant changing of training emphasises, linking with a coach and then back to being self coached. Low mileage. High mileage. Altitude. No altitude. Threshold/Ingebritsen stuff. Japanese elites stuff. Running the wrong way in a marathon. Windy marathons. Not running fast, flat major marathons for so long. Running fast, flat major marathons and not delivering. I'm sure there's loads more too.

It's probably what makes the podcast such a good listen. I like him, but he seems unable to get out of his own way. Some talent, and he'll always have that run in London, and the 2019 run in Dublin I suppose. But you can't help but feel he hasn't delivered fully on his potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Brings it home that elite athletes are only human too! It's not easy to have absolute faith in the process all of the time. I was listening to an elite at the weekend saying their training block for an upcoming marathon was the same as previous training blocks. Now they've had success in previous blocks but not a great year this year, it got me thinking do they ever wonder if it was changed up could they find another 0.25%. Surely, it's only human to question the approach at least occasionally, and a good thing too I'm sure - blind faith would be remiss too.

Hopefully he will settle on what works for him soon before it's too late. I think for someone like him being left with regrets will really torture him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Advertisement